Ric

Hard to move shifter from forward to reverse

2017 Fourtrax TRX420FM

When it's in first gear, it's really hard to shift into neutral. Same from reverse into neutral. The only way is to shut it off when it's in gear, shift to neutral, start her up, and it will go easily into first or reverse. 

Howdy and welcome from Northern Iowa.

By any chance, is your idle set to high?

Try a slight clutch adjustment maybe?

And nope, I don't know a darn thing about your ride.

Just general mechanical knowledge.

I'm sure, someone with more knowledge about your equipment should pop in shortly and help you out.

Have a good day

Edited by Mark from Northern Iowa
  • Like 1

Hi Ric. I would try adjusting the clutch.  Do you have a manual?   You can get one off the top of the home pads of this site. It is very easy to do.  I get a feel of my clutch adjustment by moving the foot shift lever up and down to feel the play.  If the adjustment doesn’t help then I would look at the shift clutch frictions.  What does you oil look like ?  Is it very dirty ? Have you been changing the oil regularly and using good quality oil that meets wet clutch oil specs.  I use Shell Rotela 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric said:

It's a manual shift.

Idle is normal

Sounds like you don't know that a foot  shift still has a clutch ? 

26 minutes ago, Ric said:

I would suppose it has a clutch

Yes , it has two clutches ,  one is a centrifugal clutch , the other is a shift clutch , the shift clutch is an automatic , there is a 14mm hex lock nut and a adjustment screw in the center of the lock / jam nut on side the engine case , there is an arrow engraved into the case  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Ric said:

Is the adjustment screw for the shift clutch?

Yes >>> if you grab your foot shifter with your hand , how much free play does it travel up and down ?  The procedure outlined in the manual calls for lightly tightening the adjustment till resistance is felt , then loose it a 1/4 turn --- I got to where I can do it by feel , take the play out but not over tighten it 

• Like 1

My Ranger is 500 kms away at our cabin. We are heading up there next month and will try these adjustments.

Thanks for all your help.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Ric said:

My Ranger is 500 kms away at our cabin. We are heading up there next month and will try these adjustments.

Thanks for all your help.

I would think all you need is a adjustment ----                                                                                                                                              

I would bring some oil and a filter  , do a oil change while your there --- I would use a clean container and see what comes out of it , if the clutch frictions are falling apart you might see it in the oil ---

Have you been changing your oil regularly and using wet clutch spec oil ? 

I've owned it for 4 years and maybe put 5 hours on it. Changed the oil with Honda oil and filter