Harleydavidson

2001 rancher 350 rebuild

Rebuilding my rancher today low on compression and the combustion gasses are leaking past the rings it’s got a ton of blow by got a big bore kit for it 🤌

E973F4B2-E118-4877-9667-446DCE874F5D.jpeg

9C7E6579-8C3C-4D13-A429-A96FF7DCB6DF.jpeg

E4A8E8A5-6A9D-404C-9F75-3D6D2A489162.jpeg

1BC56D42-EDFF-4812-9EA2-92785E6D404D.jpeg

CEBCEC68-2AAA-44A6-A5BF-BDE80CFC10D7.jpeg

• Like 1

Engine is out and in the way to be takin apart

theres a few spots on the cylinder where my nail will grab 

22 years of service and finally it’s time for a rebuild 

6AF83CCA-6735-4C25-B332-F38D7BB364B1.jpeg

934A8745-95A1-4500-A667-37E5BCF0E7FC.jpeg

2CD48899-A226-4248-AB36-03587608B9E7.jpeg

90CB7D8A-61A3-44AC-97B7-494BFC3F9A84.jpeg

The two biggest thing I think to watch out for  when doing a top end   , are , 1) how much play is in the wrist pin journal ( too much and the piston wobbles and will egg shape the bore "quickly "  and  2)  Is the bottom end cleaned out ? ( cause if it ain't , the slug  grindings will shorten the life )  , either one of these steps over looked and the life span will be short lived 

So what is the piston diameter of that " Big Bore " Niche kit you got there , I looked and E-Bay and man they are cheap , can get a head  with valves ready to go ,  new jug , piston ,  air filter ,  complete carb , oil filter , spark plug , gaskets , etc , etc , for a smidgen over $300 

Everything is nice and tight and last night I tore everything apart down the the bearings cleaned it with diesel and put it back together it’s 352cc I believe and got valves springs and seals in it had the head professionally inspected and it looked good had the carbon cleaned off and it was shaved a bit got all new gaskets plug and carb for it gonna change the oil every heat cycle I think you are supposed to do that about 3 or 4 times everything I’ve done was about 220 might get a new head for 140 and that comes with everything in it

cleaned the Frame for the first time ever probably cleanest it’s been in 20 years

CBD2F167-365F-48A6-B270-B134C8F1C403.jpeg

Check the wrist pin to connecting rod for any play at all.  Every 350 I've seen that needed a top end also needed a connecting rod.

Edited to add, nevermind, left this thread pulled up for a few hours and you'd already gotten it back together by the time I responded.

Got the oil leak fixed and low rpm valve noise but at higher rpm’s still sounds like it’s ticking valves are in spec and everything did I miss something or is this normal

1 hour ago, Harleydavidson said:

Got the oil leak fixed and low rpm valve noise but at higher rpm’s still sounds like it’s ticking valves are in spec and everything did I miss something or is this normal

IMG_9867.MOV

It is telling me it is in my best interest to not download your video 

I Dont hear nothing much.  If you think it is noisey then readjust the valves and maybe try 1 thousand tighter then specs.  

Tightened it 1 thou tighter and the little noise it had is gone now

i also put the boom tune on it and she does indeed go BOOM 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Harleydavidson said:

put it on YouTube for y’all 

You need to send that meter to akatv.  Glad a valve adjustment got your tick quieted down.