GBR

420 Problems

HI;  I am a new member and am looking for some help with my 2014 Rancher with auto shift and power steering.  The starter solenoid just clicks.  I have put on a new battery and starter solenoid.  The solenoid still just clicks,  but if I hold back on the right brake handle the engine will turn over.  It will try to start with a whiff of starting fluid.  Also, when I turn on the key I just have a line on the display and not an N.  I can hit the shift button to get the N to show.  I've checked hte fuses they are all good. 

Thanks.

Welcome aboard.

I had one of the DCT Ranchers.  They are fun little machines when working properly, but troubleshooting them can be a PITA. 

If your display isn't showing an N and you don't also have a strong green Neutral light, your machine won't start.  That's why it will still turn over with the brake lever pulled (that bypasses the neutral safety feature).

You also likely won't have spark if the display doesn't show a gear on the display.

I'd take the shift motor off the front of the engine, thoroughly clean the gears and housing underneath the shift motor, VERY LIGHTLY grease the gears with some white lithium or similar grease, and reinstall.

The shift motor is the same setup as the ES machines, so here's a great tutorial on servicing that side of things.

Try that and see if it helps with the -- on the display.  The fact that it will go into Neutral after pushing the button again sounds to me like things are hanging up.

If that doesn't fix it, there's a pin under the front cover that tends to break that can cause shifting issues, but let's look at trying the easy stuff first.

I can buy a shift motor through Partzilla for $110.00.   From Fire power. I think that would that be a better route for me.  It's to hot for me to be crawling around the shop floor looking for the  little brush and armature parts that went flying.  Taking the fenders off and repacking the connectors sounds like a good idea.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, GBR said:

I can buy a shift motor through Partzilla for $110.00.   From Fire power. I think that would that be a better route for me.  It's to hot for me to be crawling around the shop floor looking for the  little brush and armature parts that went flying.  Taking the fenders off and repacking the connectors sounds like a good idea.

Thanks.

So you already took the shift motor apart and lots bits of it? 

The shift motor might have been ok, if the gears under it were all gummed up.

Or the problem might lie elsewhere.  Servicing the gears and shift motor was a good and cheap/free place to start though.

I haven't taken it off yet.  I didn't proofread very well.    But the picture on Partzilla doesn't look like what is on my machine.  I will have to recheck my model number. It's 9 years old and 8000 hard miles.  It's 2 weeks before the dealer can look at it.  And the  wait list for a new one with power steering and electric shift is 2 years.  So I try just to replace parts because if that not what's wrong with it today,  it will be tomorrow. 

Thanks

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/31300-HP5-601?ref=ee4dd15ec09ac2a8f34fa361df5a7ce0ada72036

Is this what you pulled up? 

2014 was the last year of the small framed 420 (and then only in the DCT, the footshift and ES had already gone to the bigger frame).

What you have is much more nimble and easier to get through the woods than the newer ones.

• Like 1

HI;  The shop cooled off so I worked the the 420.  I put on a new fuel pump,  3 relays and the 3 pole diode.   Same not starting issue.  .  I took apart the left hand side of the handle bar and cleaned it with contact cleaner. For 2 times I turned on the key,  it came to neutral and started and shifted into first gear.  I shut it off and it started and ran again.  The third time it was right back to when I turned on the key it had the line in the display,  I  shifted it to neutral,  and the solenoid only  clicked.  It turned over when I pulled the right handle back and would only run on starting fluid.  I don't understand why the solenoid only clicks but when I pull back on the handle it wheels over.

If you have a test light or multi meter check and see if your getting power down to the starter when it "clicks". Something is not right there and might lead to the problem.