HavocxSC

Honda recon shifting problems/ stalls going into gear

https://youtu.be/t8qYnp3LJZE?si=7BAastGqLTho2Ted

Hey y’all, I have a 2006 Honda recon I bought off Facebook marketplace guy said it needed a stator and that the top end was recently rebuilt, it had no spark. Got the stator and pickup replaced got spark, went to put it in gear it made a loud clunking sound then stalls out. Bout a new clutch pack and centrifugal clutch got that replaced and nothing same thing. I will try and link a (YouTube link at top of post) video I posted within this post but if it doesn’t work it’s HavocxSC and the only video I have. Could it be transmission issue? It sounds like it’s coming from rear differential which I will note was completely out of fluid. Any help would be appreciated thank y’all 

Edited by HavocxSC

16 hours ago, HavocxSC said:

Hey y’all, I have a 2006 Honda recon I bought off Facebook marketplace guy said it needed a stator and that the top end was recently rebuilt, it had no spark. Got the stator and pickup replaced got spark, went to put it in gear it made a loud clunking sound then stalls out. Bout a new clutch pack and centrifugal clutch got that replaced and nothing same thing. I will try and link a YouTube video I posted within this post but if it doesn’t work it’s HavocxSC and the only video I have. Could it be transmission issue? It sounds like it’s coming from rear differential which I will note was completely out of fluid. Any help would be appreciated thank y’all 

Does it roll around easily in neutral?  Have you tried jacking up the rear end and seeing if the wheels try to spin when in gear?

Rear diff might be locked up, stalling the engine when you try to go.

20 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Does it roll around easily in neutral?  Have you tried jacking up the rear end and seeing if the wheels try to spin when in gear?

Rear diff might be locked up, stalling the engine when you try to go.

Yes it rolls in neutral no problem. I haven’t tried jacking up the rear, I’ll give that a go later on today and report back. I’ll note I did try and start it in reverse by switching the gear position wires? It acted like it wanted to go but started popping and jumping so I’ve left it alone since then.

Alright, so got her jacked up hopefully I can post these short videos on here. What i found is it stalls out still putting it into first it’ll move forward slightly then lock and die. I also put it in neutral and spun the wheels by hand forward and backwards and heard what sounds like crunching. Not sure where to go from here.

On 9/21/2023 at 10:12 AM, HavocxSC said:

Yes it rolls in neutral no problem. I haven’t tried jacking up the rear, I’ll give that a go later on today and report back. I’ll note I did try and start it in reverse by switching the gear position wires? It acted like it wanted to go but started popping and jumping so I’ve left it alone since then.

I thought maybe the rear diff was locking up and stalling the engine, but I don't think you'd be able to roll the wheels like that if that were the case.

I dunno, that's a weird one.  I guess you could try unbolting the rear diff and sliding it back, and make sure that it's internal to the engine, but from the videos, I think you have an engine issue, possibly a transmission issue.

Does it shift through all the gears when not running?

• Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 12:39 PM, jeepwm69 said:

I thought maybe the rear diff was locking up and stalling the engine, but I don't think you'd be able to roll the wheels like that if that were the case.

I dunno, that's a weird one.  I guess you could try unbolting the rear diff and sliding it back, and make sure that it's internal to the engine, but from the videos, I think you have an engine issue, possibly a transmission issue.

Does it shift through all the gears when not running?

I took off the rear end (one of the pivot bolts got hung up and was spinning freely) so that was a grand ole fun time. Still does the same thing soon as I go into gear shuts off. It will shift through the gears with a little rocking back and forth. I have a few more videos I’ll add too after I dropped rear end. What I’m thinking really just a shot in the dark Cdi? I did replace it with an Amazon cdi I’ve read and I believe you mentioned also that they were not very reliable. Also I do think the rear end is another issue in itself. I think the loser I got it from just pieced together something that looked like it had potential and got the first sucker to buy and that was me. I’m not gonna give up though I’m determined to get this thing going now.

17 hours ago, HavocxSC said:

Hmm, I didn't hear a clunk that time.  I wonder if by shifting into gear it's cutting spark?

Does the Recon have the "start in gear with right brake lever held back" feature?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Hmm, I didn't hear a clunk that time.  I wonder if by shifting into gear it's cutting spark?

Does the Recon have the "start in gear with right brake lever held back" feature?

It sure seems that way. I can start it in reverse by switching the gear position leads but pulling up to netrual it’ll shut off.

im not sure about the start in gear I’ll try and see. For some reason the brake light itself and wiring is all disconnected.

25 minutes ago, HavocxSC said:

It sure seems that way. I can start it in reverse by switching the gear position leads but pulling up to netrual it’ll shut off.

im not sure about the start in gear I’ll try and see. For some reason the brake light itself and wiring is all disconnected.

That leads me to believe you have an issue with the machine figuring out what gear it's in.

Try running a jumper wire from ground to the neutral wire on the harness.  My guess is for some reason the CDI isn't getting a ground on that light green/red wire so it's killing your spark.

• Like 1

Well @jeepwm69 that little hack did the trick I ran a couple wires according to the video and was able to shift through all gears no problem and also reverse. I undid the wire I routed from the solenoid to the battery ground just to narrow it down to possibly the cdi and that worked as well. So I’m thinking that ground in the cdi runs to the gear position sensor and it’s shorting out somehow when put in gear or could be position sensor faulty. Not sure just throwing up ideas. Guess it’s onward to the rear end. I appreciate your help brother and taking time out to help.

• Like 2