KrisR

1996 Honda 400 TRX 4x4 No Spark

9 hours ago, KrisR said:

I took the brand new OEM CDI unit out and put my old one back in. And Sparky was on fire. 

i'm not sure where you bought that '' so called brand new oem '' c.d.i. ?. but just for future reference ?, if you do not buy them from a honda dealership, such as rocky mountain atv, or partzilla ?..they will not be oem !. spec if it comes from amazon ?..amazon is 100% china fake junk !. if buying from ebay ?, you must make sure in the ad is say's oem ?, and even then..they will still lie to you !!. as for it running now ?, if the neutral light on dash was out ?, and you found the bad gear position switch, chances are, this was why you were not getting spark from the get go, you must have a neutral light on dash for it to fire spark plug, the c.d.i must know its in neutral in order to start..this is a safety feature honda builds into their atvs to keep you from starting them while in gear.

10 hours ago, KrisR said:

She's alive again.  Thanks for everyone's help. 

congrats !..i hear lose valves ?, or lose cam chain ?..i would inspect/check/set valves. i do hear ticking.

No. I got it from partzilla. It's boxed up ready to send back. I don't buy stuff off Amazon.  I did buy a used gear selector switch off ebay.  But there's no aftermarket on those. I don't waste my time on aftermarket parts. They just don't last. I do have a Honda shop 30 miles from me in North Little Rock. Tried there to find the parts but they didn't have the cdi in stocks. And they haven't had a switch since 2012.

Edited by KrisR
Mis spell
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, KrisR said:

No. I got it from partzilla. It's boxed up ready to send back. I don't buy stuff off Amazon.  I did buy a used gear selector switch off ebay.  But there's no aftermarket on those. I don't waste my time on aftermarket parts. They just don't last. I do have a Honda shop 30 miles from me in North Little Rock. Tried there to find the parts but they didn't have the cdi in stocks. And they haven't had a switch since 2012.

from partzilla ?, thats odd ?!..they sell mostly oem honda parts. i wonder if they sent you the wrong c.d.i. ?..or..you ordered the wrong one ?. either way..glad you got it going !!..be sure to get those valves set !.

8 minutes ago, KrisR said:

north little rock ??..i'm in north little rock !..lol. give me a holler one of these decades..we'll hook up before i die..rofl.

• Haha 2

I grew up on Scenic Hill. Currently live in Conway. The North Little Rock Honda Shop on McArthur is where I go for parts.

3 minutes ago, KrisR said:

I grew up on Scenic Hill. Currently live in Conway. The North Little Rock Honda Shop on McArthur is where I go for parts.

haha..i am about 5 min's away from that dealership, conway is not far from me at all. been there a few times for stuff.

• Like 1