RustyQuadGods

1997 Foreman is Terrible in the Snow

Just purchased an extremely nice 1997 Foreman 400 with only 1650 miles on it. I've been riding an '04 Rancher 350 4x4 for years and it does really well in the snow and ice.
I went out riding in about an inch or 2 of snow yesterday when noticed it fishtails like crazy. My son was riding the Rancher and had no problems at all. The front wheels of the Foreman seem to be spinning at times but not as aggressively as the Rancher" front wheels.
Does the old Foreman have an open diff or is the diff shot?

55 minutes ago, RustyQuadGods said:

Just purchased an extremely nice 1997 Foreman 400 with only 1650 miles on it. I've been riding an '04 Rancher 350 4x4 for years and it does really well in the snow and ice.
I went out riding in about an inch or 2 of snow yesterday when noticed it fishtails like crazy. My son was riding the Rancher and had no problems at all. The front wheels of the Foreman seem to be spinning at times but not as aggressively as the Rancher" front wheels.
Does the old Foreman have an open diff or is the diff shot?

your model is full time 4x4. at most, it has a limited slip diff on the front diff.

Did you lift it & spin the front wheels to try them? Could be tires even tho that sounds obvious 🤔

Front driveshaft splines might be slipping, causing intermittent power to front wheels.

In my experience that would be more likely that actual differential problems.

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Front driveshaft splines might be slipping, causing intermittent power to front wheels.

In my experience that would be more likely that actual differential problems.

most front diff's on honda's have a clutch pack inside the front diff, this is how it gets to be a limited slip diff.

9 hours ago, ATC4ever said:

Did you lift it & spin the front wheels to try them? Could be tires even tho that sounds obvious 🤔

I did lift the front and spun the front wheels while in gear.  I spun the one wheel forward and the other wheel spun the opposite direction. My Rancher will not allow the front wheels to spin if the rear tires are on the ground.

47 minutes ago, shadetree said:

most front diff's on honda's have a clutch pack inside the front diff, this is how it gets to be a limited slip diff.

Maybe the clutch pack is worn out.

1 hour ago, RustyQuadGods said:

Maybe the clutch pack is worn out.

it's posb ?, they do not last forever..lol. you will need to remove the front diff, split it, mic the disk , see if they are out of spec's ?.