Dennis

Carburetor Heater (?) TRX500FPE

I see reference to a carburetor heater in the shop manual, and it is pictured in the carb section.
How does this work? There is no reference to using it in the Operator's Manual.
Do you turn on the key and let it heat? For how long?
It's getting colder and having more difficulty starting, more cranking required,
Anyone have info  on this?

5 hours ago, Dennis said:

I see reference to a carburetor heater in the shop manual, and it is pictured in the carb section.
How does this work? There is no reference to using it in the Operator's Manual.
Do you turn on the key and let it heat? For how long?
It's getting colder and having more difficulty starting, more cranking required,
Anyone have info  on this?

most carb heaters operate from a temp sensor that is located somewhere at the front, under the front fender, its inside a clear plastic bag looking thing. there is no way to set it, its all automatic when you turn the key on. if ya ask me ?, they are worthless in my book. i have never understood what or why honda put these on atvs ?..they are nothing but junk. most newer atvs from honda are fuel injected, they do not need a carb heater. on older atv carbs, the choke worked just fine.

• Like 2

I had one on an older 400. Had an older guy who also had one tell me to leave the key on for a few seconds before starting it & it started easier. You could try that if its working to see if there is a difference. 

• Like 1

On 1/13/2024 at 3:39 AM, shadetree said:

most carb heaters operate from a temp sensor that is located somewhere at the front, under the front fender, its inside a clear plastic bag looking thing. there is no way to set it, its all automatic when you turn the key on. if ya ask me ?, they are worthless in my book. i have never understood what or why honda put these on atvs ?..they are nothing but junk. most newer atvs from honda are fuel injected, they do not need a carb heater. on older atv carbs, the choke worked just fine.

Thanks.  I often think these are over-engineered

On 1/13/2024 at 8:07 AM, ATC4ever said:

I had one on an older 400. Had an older guy who also had one tell me to leave the key on for a few seconds before starting it & it started easier. You could try that if its working to see if there is a difference. 

Thanks.  I'm going to try that, maybe 10 seconds(?)  maybe more(?)

• Like 1