jcz

carb drain screw needed

Anyone have junk carb that I could get the bowl drain screw from? I tried using a dab of honda bond to seal up the one I have for a 2002 450 but it is still dripping fuel. I can find a china carb for about 40 bucks but I'd rather not go that route just to rob the screw out of it. 

positive. Screw had some rust on the end of it from sitting up for 10 years or so. Piece of the rust broke off while I was rebuilding the carb leaving a gap where it should seat to cut off the fuel flow.

Are these the same in all the carbs?  I have some trashed carbs in the shop, can send you one.

• Like 2

I am really not sure if they all match or not. Was hoping someone here would know. I did find a 4into1 website that looks similar to what I have but it is brass. Not sure if that would work or not.

What is throwing me off on the brass ones is they all say they are for a CBR. But I don't know if they use the same keihin carb bowls as the atvs.

Well I was wrong. It is not the drain that is leaking. My son just bought an 88 trx 300 2x4 last week. He took out the carb last night to clean. While it was out I swapped the drain screw from his to the 450 to see if they were the same. It is still leaking. I guess I need to tear back into that carb now. Not real sure what the problem may be. It'll have to wait til we get the wiring of this 300 redone. Previous owner hacked it up pretty good.
The 300 carb appears to be an aftermarket. It looks fairly new and clean. But the drain is interchangable. 

14 hours ago, jcz said:

Well I was wrong. It is not the drain that is leaking. My son just bought an 88 trx 300 2x4 last week. He took out the carb last night to clean. While it was out I swapped the drain screw from his to the 450 to see if they were the same. It is still leaking. I guess I need to tear back into that carb now. Not real sure what the problem may be. It'll have to wait til we get the wiring of this 300 redone. Previous owner hacked it up pretty good.
The 300 carb appears to be an aftermarket. It looks fairly new and clean. But the drain is interchangable. 

if the float needle is bad ?, it will fill the bowl up, up to the brass tube inside, when this takes place, the fuel will drip/run out of the nipple on the bottom of the float bowl. that nipple serves two purposes, it lets you drain the float bowl, and it tells you when the float needle is not seating ?. its going to be one of these reasons you are getting fuel out the bottom of the float bowl.

• Like 3

I put a new needle in from the rebuild kit. It seemed like it was working properly before reassembly but that was a couple months ago and I can't remember how or if I tested it . I will look back at it later. I'll check back in when I get to it. 
Thanks for the help.