Hi, I’ve recently brought a 2007 Honda trx420fm , I need the vin to register it but I can only recover half of it, to start with it was totally covered in rust and couldn’t make out any numbers or letters and after some rust remover and removing all the corrosion I can just about make out the last half of the numbers but only just , it doesn’t have any evidence of grinding or filing it’s just terribly pitted , does anybody have any suggestions other than get rid of the quad ?

47 minutes ago, Holmesy89 said:

Hi, I’ve recently brought a 2007 Honda trx420fm , I need the vin to register it but I can only recover half of it, to start with it was totally covered in rust and couldn’t make out any numbers or letters and after some rust remover and removing all the corrosion I can just about make out the last half of the numbers but only just , it doesn’t have any evidence of grinding or filing it’s just terribly pitted , does anybody have any suggestions other than get rid of the quad ?

answer: take some 220 sand paper, wd-40, lightly !!..sand back and forth over the vin number plate, all you are doing is taking the top coat off the metal. there is 17 digits in the vin number. once you get the top coat of rust/crud off the top of the plate ?, use a magnifier to read the vin number. this '' should '' let you get the number off the plate, i've done this many times on very bad , rusted vin number plates.

• Like 1

If your in the states this should help but you'll have to fill in the blanks. 1HFTE359 *74000001 - 74099999 IS THE VIN matrix for the 2007 TRX420FM. The * is a check number so it can be anything and the 740 on is going to make your VIN unique.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Get it as clean as u can, then take a white or yellow paint marker & run over it. Wipe it with a rag lightly & the remaining paint will stay in the indents. You will be able to make out the VIN

Edited by Wheeler
  • Like 1