This is my first atv in 20 years. i recently purchased a 2003 Honda Rubicon 500 with the hondamatic (628 original miles).  I have done a lot of looking but see no GR for this bike. I'm assuming no one makes one.  I would like to run 28's or 29.5 Aztec's is this possible?  The low range seems like it would be able to turn the tires.  I run mostly light mud, gravel roads , and lots of snow during ice fishing any direction is greatly appreciated Thanks

19 hours ago, tnkman said:

This is my first atv in 20 years. i recently purchased a 2003 Honda Rubicon 500 with the hondamatic (628 original miles).  I have done a lot of looking but see no GR for this bike. I'm assuming no one makes one.  I would like to run 28's or 29.5 Aztec's is this possible?  The low range seems like it would be able to turn the tires.  I run mostly light mud, gravel roads , and lots of snow during ice fishing any direction is greatly appreciated Thanks

The only reduction is a 7%, which is a 450 foreman final gear under the rear cover.  It’s a 42 tooth vs the stock Rubicon 40.

Not worth the effort unless you’re already in there doing other work.

As for tires, even with low I wouldn’t go that big.  I’ve seen Rubicons unable to turn some loaded up 26” outlaws in really thick mud.  Couldn’t spin them enough to clean them out so they ended up being giant heavy cakes of clay. 

i have light 27’s (Mudbugs) on one with the 7% reduction installed, and wouldn’t want to go any bigger/heavier.

Thanks for the reply.  I’m doing the 450 rear swing arm so I’ll probably do the 7% then. I have all the plastics off to do the valves,winch and other accessories. My neighbor has a Hondamatic also and is using the Sunf 28x9x12 on all four corners. He only uses it for yard and ice fishing. He said that he loves it but again no mud 

• Like 1