cdyoder

05 honda foreman broken meter

Hello, I'm new here and also pretty new to fourwheelers in general. I bought an 05 forman 500 that is pretty rough and ridden hard. The  outer screen is missing and the inner is peeling. The display lights up but there is no readings like the speedometer or milage. The headlights work . As far as I can tell none of the buttons work either on the meter.  Can this be repaired? Could this be caused by water damage or maybe bad wiring?  Thanks!

20240417_094349.jpg

20240417_094359.jpg

While @AKATV is a magician when it comes to meters, that generation of Foreman has a couple of things going against it when it comes to meter repairs.

First, the imprint on the meter (lines, mph, fuel gauge markings) are all imprinted on the meter, so IF it was worth fixing, and AKATV fixed it, you would have a blank screen with only the LCD parts showing.  It's something I could live with personally just because I know what the readings are from so many years of riding that generation of Foreman, but it won't look like new like the older meters do when he's through with them.

But the bigger issue is the cover.   Originally that cover had a plastic screen and you could buy a new cover for about $30.  That was 05-08.  The 09 and 11 models that cover changed to glass, and the cost went up to over $100 even back then.   I know this because @basfnb broke my cover one day on my 09, and I ordered the 05-08 replacement to save him some money, and found the earlier part was plastic instead of glass.   Not a huge deal, but over time, Honda discontinued the cheaper plastic cover and superseded it with the newer part number, so the only available option now is the glass one. 

Which is now almost $200.   The glass ones don't scratch like the plastic ones did, so that's nice, but they are super pricey.

So were it me, I'd either buy a new meter, or get a used working unit off of ebay.  The cover is $180, a whole new meter is $270, so for what it would cost you IF AKATV could fix your existing meter, plus the cost of a cover, you'd be around the cost of a whole new meter.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/37201-HP0-A71?ref=fde4620aaa662b7618d79129ee284d58ba6ce658

I don't use partzilla, they're expensive, but their schematics and interchange tools are the best.

Double check my part number here, but pretty sure here's a new meter for $229

https://www.motosport.com/oem-parts/part-number/37200-HP0-A71?cc=us&cc=us&variant[HOE10IV]=HOE10IV-X001-Y001&utm_source=google&utm_medium=pla&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5v2wBhBrEiwAXDDoJRNDAb1JmE9Ia2C784b8ys1y0gRWL2DxE51e-upHCv6PzOvWpBdNyhoChEMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

New one on ebay for $219

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184881537107

Posted (edited)

Welcome to the forum cdyoder!

Yep, concur 100% with what Jeep said above-

My 2 cents is that it is/was probably full of water with that top cover being broken and corroded.

I bet if you open it up it most likely looks like something that came off the Titanic,from water damages.

Take the screws out of the backplate and pop the cover off and post a picture of what it looks like inside.

I can source you parts to get you fixed up, if you are interested

I will send my direct contact information to your message box

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV

Ok Thanks for the welcome. I'm guessing I'll try to find a good used on of of ebay to save a few bucks. I'm just hoping if I do that the 'new' meter will work.  I don't know if the sending units work for sure. I mean the speed sensor and fuel gauge and such.  I will contact AKATV ,but it probably isn't worth repairing.