sdec40@gmail.com

Need a used LCD screen for 98 450s

I've been told by the repair guys that a flaw in the early 450's caused air to get in between the glass pieces which sandwich the liquid crystal, part of the screen fails when this happens. It looks like black dots or the lower half of the screen appears like a gray mountain range.  However, when the polarizing screens are sun damaged and the screen color changes or prevents function; the LCD glass plates may still be fine. If you have or know anyone with a screen from this model (working or not, as long as it's all the same color) I'd be interested in it! If you can help or have a lead where I might locate one of these please let me know.

2 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I've been told by the repair guys that a flaw in the early 450's caused air to get in between the glass pieces which sandwich the liquid crystal, part of the screen fails when this happens. It looks like black dots or the lower half of the screen appears like a gray mountain range.  However, when the polarizing screens are sun damaged and the screen color changes or prevents function; the LCD glass plates may still be fine. If you have or know anyone with a screen from this model (working or not, as long as it's all the same color) I'd be interested in it! If you can help or have a lead where I might locate one of these please let me know.

i've got a meter for a trx450fm, just not sure what year it is ?, i will have to dig it out, and look up the part number ?. i don't think its a early version though ?. meters from 1998 to 2001 are either manual shift, or es shift ?. i do know the 1998 meters only had the speedo on them if i remember right for the manual shifts ?..please don't quote me on this !..lol. i'll get back to ya when i get time to find them, and see what the part number on it is ?. p.s. it will need to be fixed, as the screen is burnt, but we got a guy on here that fixes them..lol.

Posted (edited)

this sounds promising, the repair guys tell me that the screens from 98 to 2004 are all compatible. the upgraded part ends in AO2 I think. (original ended in AO1 ) the rest of the number is the same. Is your screen all the same color? Is grey without black spots or mountain silhouettes in the lower half? Mine is the manual shift.

Edited by [email protected]

I could do the polarizer but give me a price with your guy doing it and one without him doing it so I can see if I can afford that benefit. Does his replacement method have the white film background or clear one?

6 hours ago, [email protected] said:

I could do the polarizer but give me a price with your guy doing it and one without him doing it so I can see if I can afford that benefit. Does his replacement method have the white film background or clear one?

@AKATV here is who repairs meters., i just tagged him, if you got black spots on yours ?, he prob can fix it.

My LCD got cracked and destroyed as I had tried to get the air out of it. So I'm forced to find a replacement. I'm in contact with Ron (ATVhonda) and he says the black spots are not repairable. mine had the mountain range look from air in it (before it cracked). I hope you can find the one you mentioned. As I said I have some new polarizer film so I can do that part for the burnt one you mentioned. .I'm hoping you still have the one you mentioned or can find it

32 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

My LCD got cracked and destroyed as I had tried to get the air out of it. So I'm forced to find a replacement. I'm in contact with Ron (ATVhonda) and he says the black spots are not repairable. mine had the mountain range look from air in it (before it cracked). I hope you can find the one you mentioned. As I said I have some new polarizer film so I can do that part for the burnt one you mentioned. .I'm hoping you still have the one you mentioned or can find it

i will look around out in my shop when i get out to it, i will let you know.

i think i found it ?, but like i said, it has a burnt screen. here is 3 pic's i just took. there is not a part number sticker on the back ( fell off/rubbed off ? ). but i know its not for a later trx450fm, because the 4x4 light is not on it. what i am not sure about is, is if it came off a es early model ?, i kinda doubt it ?, as i don't work on many..if at all ?..es atvs !..lol.

IMG_0781.JPG

IMG_0782.JPG

IMG_0780.JPG

I sent the pics to AKATV to see if he thinks it is fixable. It looks to me like it is one of the original versions because that black spot is air that has entered from the right side glue having decayed. I'll get back with you once he lets me know

5 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

I sent the pics to AKATV to see if he thinks it is fixable. It looks to me like it is one of the original versions because that black spot is air that has entered from the right side glue having decayed. I'll get back with you once he lets me know

ok,  no problem :-). please keep in mind !!..i'm not 100% sure it is from a manual shift model ?..but i do not think it is from an es ??. i do recall working on my very first trx450s, and it was indeed a 1998 back then..lol.

Ron said he didn't think that mattered if I was only needing the LCD screen the ES models use the circuitry to do that but the screens are apparently the same. I'll double check that with him, to be sure

Shade/sdec40

That speedometer is definately for an 98-01 450S

The LCD screen is the same for the 98-04 450S models even thru the addition the the extra LED for the 4x4, the circuit cards are different, but the displays will swap over

The black looking ink type spots are a known issue, more particular to the 450S model screen for some reason

It is not repairable and the LCD must be replaced

sdec40 said he thought he was able to repair his black spot before it cracked, I have not seen, or been able to replicate any successful long term repair of this kind of damage.

-AKATV

55 minutes ago, AKATV said:

Shade/sdec40

That speedometer is definately for an 98-01 450S

The LCD screen is the same for the 98-04 450S models even thru the addition the the extra LED for the 4x4, the circuit cards are different, but the displays will swap over

The black looking ink type spots are a known issue, more particular to the 450S model screen for some reason

It is not repairable and the LCD must be replaced

sdec40 said he thought he was able to repair his black spot before it cracked, I have not seen, or been able to replicate any successful long term repair of this kind of damage.

-AKATV

oh well, life goes on..lol. thanks for the input !.

Shade,  I  may have to try to fix yours if I cannot locate another. I know it is a very low probability of working out. 

with that in mind how much would you sell it for? (You could just remove the LCD and keep the rest of it) a price for all or just the screen? my zip is 54891 (for shipping cost)

37 minutes ago, [email protected] said:

Shade,  I  may have to try to fix yours if I cannot locate another. I know it is a very low probability of working out. 

with that in mind how much would you sell it for? (You could just remove the LCD and keep the rest of it) a price for all or just the screen? my zip is 54891 (for shipping cost)

bro, if you just pay for shipping ?, you can have it !. i'll contact you through pm, don't post any info out in the open forums...EVER !..LOL.