jeepwm69

Financial update, overlooked expense this month

The crappy bookkeeper here (me) didn't realize that our annual license was up for renewal with our IT security subscription.  If yall recall from last year, we were paying $20/ month for this service, but they required us to go annual on it, so $240/  year instead of $20/month.

I wasn't watching for the renewal, and they sprung an invoice on us.   Retro immediately chipped in most of what we needed to pay that invoice, so that's covered for another year, but in the meantime, we're down to about $20 in the forum kettle.

I know a couple of you have made very generous donations in the last few months, so I'm hoping we might wring a little out of the non-regular donors.   Even if it's only $5-10 it adds up if enough of us chip in.  

We have regular guys who chip in every month, and that is most appreciated, but if you haven't donated, and spend any time here, or have gotten help here from the members, please consider chipping it a little to help keep the site going.  

We don't need Retro trying to solely fund this site out of his social security checks.  Let the old man enjoy a tiny tidbit of what he paid in over the years!

To any folks who are new around here, this board was started after verticalscope (you can google them to see what they have done to the forum community as a whole) ruined a couple of older popular ATV forums.   The moderators and regulars on those boards didn't like a big corp monetizing our willingness to help people with their Hondas, so we had this new board started by a couple of IT savvy members.  

We are ad free, non-profit, and only try to cover the costs of running the board (about $130/month if one were to average the monthly costs, give or take).  

We are a community of guys who like to work on ATV's, and like to help others learn to work on ATV's.  I personally view them as puzzles to be solved, and enjoy trying to figure them out.  

So to those who have donated, or regularly donate, THANK YOU!   If you haven't ever chipped in, please consider doing so, and thank you as well!

Where do we send donations? Who do we write a check too? I'd like to chip in, consider payment for help with my past issue and if anyone can tell me how to remove rear rack. My thought is I know how much a Honda shop charges for work, doesn't seem unreasonable if you get info here to fix your machine, send a check per incident..I'm figuring $50 a pop, so if someone can post rear rack removal on 2010 420, I'm good for $100, just need more info on who and where to send and I will let my accountant figure out how it can be a tax deduction 🤑 

Sorry late to the party, just noticed this post and felt a twang of guilt.

1 hour ago, Mach 1 said:

Where do we send donations? Who do we write a check too? I'd like to chip in, consider payment for help with my past issue and if anyone can tell me how to remove rear rack. My thought is I know how much a Honda shop charges for work, doesn't seem unreasonable if you get info here to fix your machine, send a check per incident..I'm figuring $50 a pop, so if someone can post rear rack removal on 2010 420, I'm good for $100, just need more info on who and where to send and I will let my accountant figure out how it can be a tax deduction 🤑 

most rear racks on any honda atv are held on with a few bolts, and fenders screws. two at the back on each side, two left, two right. left side, above , behind top of muffler. right rear side, above, behind top of tire, back of frame. then you will have a screw that goes from under the bottom back of each side of rear fender, it screws into the bottom of the backside of the rack, 10mm heads on them. you will also have to forward legs on the rear rack, they stick down through the rear fender,each side of the battery box, they have a bolt that attaches the leg to the frame under the rack. you can easly reach these bolts from above the rear tires on each side. most of these bolts are either 12mm or 14mm heads on them. sooo..3 large bolts on rack legs, then 1 smaller bolt through the fender from the back bottom, going up into the rear tabs on the rack on each bottom side of rear fender and rack.

Thanks, I looked at it close..thanks Honda for putting biggest wiring harness, in addition to other wires, OVER the bar of rack going side to side..not worth disconnecting all wires to remove rack, gonna cut down a welders pencil to mark locations.

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

2 bolts on going into the back of the frame, 12mm heads, 2 more accessed through the rear wheel wells, also 12mm bolts.

You can see it pretty clearly if you look in the schematics.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2010/trx420fpm-a/carrier

And $50 a pop is pretty steep.  We're not trying to make money off of helping people around here, we just need to cover the costs of the forum.   Very generous of you though!

6 minutes ago, Mach 1 said:

Thanks, I looked at it close..thanks Honda for putting biggest wiring harness, in addition to other wires, OVER the bar of rack going side to side..not worth disconnecting all wires to remove rack, gonna cut down a welders pencil to mark locations.

You can pull the battery, solenoid, computer and all that other wiring stuff up out of the rear fender and just move it as one blob over to the top of the airbox to get that rear rack off.   You'll have to undo a couple of plastic clips that hold things in place, but other than the tail light you shouldn't have to unplug anything.

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

2 bolts on going into the back of the frame, 12mm heads, 2 more accessed through the rear wheel wells, also 12mm bolts.

You can see it pretty clearly if you look in the schematics.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2010/trx420fpm-a/carrier

And $50 a pop is pretty steep.  We're not trying to make money off of helping people around here, we just need to cover the costs of the forum.   Very generous of you though!

Soooo, where exactly do we send a check made out to eho? Don't think $50 steeo, I paid $300 at shop and it broke down on 2nd ride.

1 minute ago, jeepwm69 said:

You can pull the battery, solenoid, computer and all that other wiring stuff up out of the rear fender and just move it as one blob over to the top of the airbox to get that rear rack off.   You'll have to undo a couple of plastic clips that hold things in place, but other than the tail light you shouldn't have to unplug anything.

Good catch, didn't think of yhat.

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

If you have paypal or a credit card, there's a donation button on the home page of the forum up around the toolbar.

If you don't have paypal, what a few of the guys have done in the past is mail me a check, I make a donation to the forum with my paypal account, note the donation under the donator's name, and then deposit the check.  

I'm the bookkeeper here, and record a name and amount that is donated each month.   As things are, as much as I hate paypal, it's the easiest way to receive donations and pay our bills, so that's what we're using.

Posted (edited)

Ok, send me a PM with your details to mail you a check for $100. I will check out button for credit card, I don't have PP, never FB, never sent a tweet or ANY social medial lol.

Edited by Mach 1
Added content
  • Haha 1