Crutch174

Jumps out of gear!

01 forman rubicon 500. I hade the shift linkage off when I replaced the cam chain and oil pump chain, know if I'm flexing it in ruts or a log it will pop out of gear and half to use the winch to get it flat again. I had the shifter apart and it looks pretty worn in there, so I got one coming, but I'm not sure that's the problem.

51 minutes ago, Crutch174 said:

01 forman rubicon 500. I hade the shift linkage off when I replaced the cam chain and oil pump chain, know if I'm flexing it in ruts or a log it will pop out of gear and half to use the winch to get it flat again. I had the shifter apart and it looks pretty worn in there, so I got one coming, but I'm not sure that's the problem.

early 500's had a bad 1st gear, this much i know of. what all models i don't remember ?.

14 hours ago, shadetree said:

early 500's had a bad 1st gear, this much i know of. what all models i don't remember ?.

This one is a Rubicon/ Hondamatic.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crutch174 said:

Most likely the shift linkage is slightly off, and when the machine flexes it's pulling the shifter out of gear.

Make sure the upper and lower motor mounts are good, and I'd look and see which way it's moving out of gear, and slightly adjust the shift linkage the other way.  It's just a bar with threads on either end, so you just loosen the nuts and turn the rod to adjust.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Crutch174 said:

No it didn't

Find what You changed a slight error was made.  Hope You have not run it for a long time since this started happening.

Edited by oldmxrider