Rolandtd

Stalls when put in gear/braking

Hey everyone I've had the 2016 rancher 420 running well until this last boggs trip. When you put it in gear it stalls out but if given gas and put in gear under throttle it will not stall. Will also stall out when coming to a stop. I adjusted the clutch and checked iac didnt go through water yet.  Everything checked out with the electrical connectors. When its moving its running fine amd will start right back up. Any ideas? 

Faulty throttle position controller maybe...

I'll check it but I'm kinda thinking one way bearing. Felt like it wasn't engine braking right going down a hill. Gonna do some more checking today

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In 1st gear I can push forward but not backwards and in reverse I can push backwards but not forward. I believe that means the one way bearing is good right? I do have engine braking it seems but when I go to give it some more gas it feels like it's taking a second to engage. Clutch is adjusted properly but still dies when put in gear without throttle or stopping in gear.

Edited by Rolandtd

39 minutes ago, Rolandtd said:

In 1st gear I can push forward but not backwards and in reverse I can push backwards but not forward. I believe that means the one way bearing is good right? I do have engine braking it seems but when I go to give it some more gas it feels like it's taking a second to engage. Clutch is adjusted properly but still dies when put in gear without throttle or stopping in gear.

sometimes when they stall when put in gear ?..this tells me the c.d.i. is bad ?..this was an issue with the old trx350 fourtrax's back in the day. if its taking a sec or two to start moving when put in gear ?, this is a clutch issue.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

@shadetree When at a dead stop if I put it in gear it'll jump forward or back and die. If I shift with some throttle it'll go and not stall until I stop. I messed with the idle at the handlebar and nothing really changed. 

Edited by Rolandtd

2 hours ago, Rolandtd said:

@shadetree When at a dead stop if I put it in gear it'll jump forward or back and die. If I shift with some throttle it'll go and not stall until I stop. I messed with the idle at the handlebar and nothing really changed. 

get the idle set right, then try adjusting the clutch. at idle, once in gear, it should not die, or try moving under idle.

Posted (edited)

Top video is what it does when put in gear. Second is normal idle.

videos after making sure clutch is adjusted right

Edited by Rolandtd

Posted (edited)

Here's a video of clutch and a picture of the drum. The one way bearing was on correctly. Is the drum supposed to be smooth? 

20240710_130822.jpg

Edited by Rolandtd

2 hours ago, Rolandtd said:

Here's a video of clutch and a picture of the drum. The one way bearing was on correctly. Is the drum supposed to be smooth? 

20240710_130822.jpg

brand new ?..yes..over time..the drum wears like that..normal.

Posted (edited)

its the original one. everything internally looks good the pads on the centrifugal clutch looks good too. 

Edited by Rolandtd

Posted (edited)

Got a new one way and put it in she'll idle in gear good. Now its throwing code 22 for shift angle sensor so I gotta figure that one out. I probably got something out of alignment when I tested shifting by hand directly on the shift shaft before reassembly.

Edited by Rolandtd
  • Like 1

All reassembled and good to go. Something was up with that one way bearing. It tests good but something about it was off new bearing running smooth as my brain.

• Like 1