dujmbpesrons123

1992 Honda TRX300 Battery Box Wiring

Hi,

I bought a trx300 apparently has a badrear differential according to the seller, and he told me that because the rear diff is bad the electric starter would not work.

Does anyone know if this is true and if it is does anyone have any suggestions for what rear diff to get.

Going to try and get the engine started by kick this week I think is probably due to it not having a cdi box, the wires are just all tapped so probably no spark.

trxbnatterybox.jpg

i sure hope you got this free ?..or very very cheap ?..lol. you wire harness is shot, you need a few parts...starter solenoid, maybe a starter ?, wire harness, battery ( do not run it without a battery ! ), ground cables, starter cables, ring gear, pinion gear, all new seals, bearings , the list goes on and on.

• Like 2

Based on what I see so far, your best bet would be to order an entire used harness from ebay or Powersportsnation.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, shadetree said:

i sure hope you got this free ?..or very very cheap ?..lol. you wire harness is shot, you need a few parts...starter solenoid, maybe a starter ?, wire harness, battery ( do not run it without a battery ! ), ground cables, starter cables, ring gear, pinion gear, all new seals, bearings , the list goes on and on.

About 200 us bucks sadly but I’m in Canada and these seem to be more expensive.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Based on what I see so far, your best bet would be to order an entire used harness from ebay or Powersportsnation.

Do you know if it has to be an 89 harness or could I get one from Amazon that’s for newer years?

24 minutes ago, dujmbpesrons123 said:

Do you know if it has to be an 89 harness or could I get one from Amazon that’s for newer years?

Well you can use any year harness BUT you have to have the proper accessories for the given year.

For example, if you have a CDI on that machine, you'll need a first gen harness (88-92) to work with that first gen CDI and regulator (also called a rectifier)

If you don't have a CDI, and will have to purchase one, then you just need a harness with matching CDI.  The starter solenoids etc are all the same from 88-00.   You just need the harness to match the CDI and rectifier.

There are 3 "generations" of Honda 300's

1st gen is 88-92

2nd gen is 93-97

3rd gen is 98-00

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well you can use any year harness BUT you have to have the proper accessories for the given year.

For example, if you have a CDI on that machine, you'll need a first gen harness (88-92) to work with that first gen CDI and regulator (also called a rectifier)

If you don't have a CDI, and will have to purchase one, then you just need a harness with matching CDI.  The starter solenoids etc are all the same from 88-00.   You just need the harness to match the CDI and rectifier.

There are 3 "generations" of Honda 300's

1st gen is 88-92

2nd gen is 93-97

3rd gen is 98-00

Thank you very much I think I will just get third gen stuff as it’s easiest the cdi is probably fried. I really appreciate your help.

3 hours ago, dujmbpesrons123 said:

stick with 1st gen parts, as this will make it easier to get it up and running. regardless of what some sellers on..say ebay ?..say that all yrs are the same for the trx300fw ?..NO..THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME !. by this..i mean the electronics changed through the yrs. most engine parts ( not all ! ) are all the same. stators, reg/rec are not the same, c.d.i.'s are not the same. a few body parts changed..but most will swap over to your atv. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELETRONIC FROM AMAZON !!!. they are china parts..cheap for a reason..its not wise to use any parts from amazon on this atv...EVER !. there is only one reason to use any china parts on these ?..ad this is if oem, used parts are no longer being made and sold ?..otherwise...DO NOT USE CHINA PARTS !.

3 hours ago, shadetree said:

stick with 1st gen parts, as this will make it easier to get it up and running. regardless of what some sellers on..say ebay ?..say that all yrs are the same for the trx300fw ?..NO..THEY ARE NOT ALL THE SAME !. by this..i mean the electronics changed through the yrs. most engine parts ( not all ! ) are all the same. stators, reg/rec are not the same, c.d.i.'s are not the same. a few body parts changed..but most will swap over to your atv. DO NOT BUY ANYTHING ELETRONIC FROM AMAZON !!!. they are china parts..cheap for a reason..its not wise to use any parts from amazon on this atv...EVER !. there is only one reason to use any china parts on these ?..ad this is if oem, used parts are no longer being made and sold ?..otherwise...DO NOT USE CHINA PARTS !.

Do you happen to know where I can find a first gen harness I can’t seem to find any

1 hour ago, dujmbpesrons123 said:

Do you happen to know where I can find a first gen harness I can’t seem to find any

powersports nation, or ebay is your best bet.

53 minutes ago, dujmbpesrons123 said:

Appreciate you I might try and fix the original one, cause a new one is almost what I paid for the bike. Hopefully it’s just small splices I have to do 

don't waste your time on that busted up wire harness. its not worth the time. fix it right , or don't fix it at all.

• Like 2