Quadd

2006 rubicon 500 no spark

Hello fellow Honda folks, recently replaced the carburetor on my wheeler due to sitting for a couple years and it had been starting harder and harder in the colder months so figured what the !, well once i got it back together i found it to not start, not even fire! I went and got a OEM coil and new plug and still no spark! This is basically brought me to a halt as the wire harness that goes to the coil is hard to follow because of tight space under the handlebars! I also replaced the fuel shutoff that attaches to the bottom of the fuel tank! The way I found it to have no spark was to put the plug next to the frame once removed and watch the plug while turning it over! Should I see spark by doing it that way? Anyone been down the same road and know the answer? When I parked it it ran and was driven and shut off in a garage. Help Thanks 🤷

Welcome, let us know what year and model you have. Check to be sure all wire connectors are properly plugged in and your fuses are good. Some one with more knowledge will be along with more suggestions soon. 

Yea the machine is a 2006, I followed wiring as well as I could, I didn’t look at fuses so I will need to check those out!

I recommend you check for spark by holding the plug against the cylinder head while cranking the engine. It must be metal to metal grounded - unpainted surface, unlike the frame. Your eyes may trick you, it is difficult to see that small spark if you're in daylight. Sometimes it's necessary to do this in the shop with the lights out in order to see.

On 7/14/2024 at 7:03 PM, Quadd said:

Yea the machine is a 2006, I followed wiring as well as I could, I didn’t look at fuses so I will need to check those out!

What kind of carb did you get?  I believe the Rubicons will lose spark if the TPS (throttle position sensor) on the carb is off at all, and if you used an aftermarket carb, I'd be looking at that as your potential problem.

Did you keep the original carb?