jeepwm69

450ES tear down pics

This engine belongs to a local plumber who does work for me at my workplace.   Nice guy, active in the local church youth program.  His 450 wouldn't shift, so he asked me to look at it.   Since my daylight working hours are rare now, I told him to pull the engine and bring it to me, and I'd fix it.

So he got it pulled, and this is what I found.

I think he was losing oil at the shift shaft and the front output seal. 

Top end was previously rebuilt.

Oil screen looks bad, and oil screen was pushed out of it's grooves.   He said the wheeler was in a flood at some point prior to him owning it, and that shows with the rust on the crank.

Shifting problem was the spring loaded arm that sits in the star on the end of the shift drum.   Looks like it dropped behind the star wheels, which locked everything up.   Probably the bolt that holds that shift linkage on the end of the shift drum came loose, allowing the star wheel to move just enough to let the spring loaded arm drop beneath it. 

Anyhow, ordered all new seals and a gasket set, and also a timing chain.   Will get it cleaned up and old gaskets scraped off while I wait on parts.

IMG_4913.jpeg

IMG_4914.jpeg

IMG_4915.jpeg

IMG_4916.jpeg

IMG_4917.jpeg

it was sunk. instead of doing it the right way ?, they skimped on it. now its broken down..lol. that oil filter screen got pushed out because it was trying to push water instead of oil !. yep, cam chain is shot. rust on the crank lobes tells me all i need to know about stupid atv owners..lol. tell this guy...IT'S NOT A DANG BOAT !.

• Haha 1

Getting this one done a little bit at a time.

Got gaskets scraped (which is honestly the worst part of the job) and transmission back in place yesterday.   I had to take the transmission in and out about 10 times to figure out exactly how it goes.   This is only the 2nd 450 I've done and it's a little different than the 500's I'm used to doing.

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4973.jpeg

8 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Got gaskets scraped (which is honestly the worst part of the job) and transmission back in place yesterday.   I had to take the transmission in and out about 10 times to figure out exactly how it goes.   This is only the 2nd 450 I've done and it's a little different than the 500's I'm used to doing.

carry on grasshopper !..lol. if all else fails ?, you have my number...rofl.

On 10/11/2024 at 9:52 AM, jeepwm69 said:

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4973.jpeg

i got one coming up as you know of, its a cake walk for me...then again..i've done a few..lol.

• Like 1

On 10/11/2024 at 10:52 AM, jeepwm69 said:

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4973.jpeg

At least you didn't do what I did during my rebuild, had the trans parts all installed and left it in my garage overnight, unfortunately on an, I thought, sturdy cardboard box.  Went out the next morning and discovered my box wasn't all that good, The rear cover with the trans fell on the floor and trans parts everywhere.  Needless to say I wasn't happy.  Talk about trying to put a puzzle back together, took a couple tries to get it right....lol

• Haha 1

Got this one back together this morning, adjusted valves, and probably gave myself a hernia carrying it out to my truck.   Will get it back to the youngster in the next day or two to get it reinstalled.

IMG_5006.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Got this one back together this morning, adjusted valves, and probably gave myself a hernia carrying it out to my truck.   Will get it back to the youngster in the next day or two to get it reinstalled.

IMG_5006.jpeg

yep..as we get older..everything becomes alot heavier..lol. i try to wear my back brace when i think about it ?..lol.

On 10/11/2024 at 9:52 AM, jeepwm69 said:

IMG_4975.jpeg

IMG_4973.jpeg

putting the tranny back in is really easy !. as long as you do not get any gears off the shafts ?, not lose the thrust washers on the bottom of the shaft ?, its really so easy, is scary !..lol. best way to install both sides, look down in the case, notice one side is higher than the other side ( output shaft bearing side is lower )..now..put the two transmissions together in your hand, all while keeping your fingers in the bottom washers, if you paid attention to the height down in the case ??, this is how you put the two transmission gears together as a set, all the gears line up with the other gears on the shaft. carefully ease the two halves down in the case, while holding onto the thrust washers on the bottom, once down in there right on top of the bearings...both shafts should drop right down inside the bearings..easy !. next i install the shift forks to the right gear..while watching which fork has what letters on them ?..RR is very bottom..the shift fork with the letters face up, it goes on left shaft, next is C, this is your center shift fork, it goes to output shaft, letter facing up, slide it onto the gear, last is the top shift fork, again..letter facing up FW, OR F i think is what is stamped on it ?, i just know it goes in last, letter facing up. then i install the shift drum..carefully getting the ends of shift forks into the shift drum grooves. it can be rough some times..other times..they all just fall right in..but sometimes you have to reach in there..and lift a fork up, maybe 2 of them...or all three to get them into the shift drum grooves.once this is done..i oil up the shift fork shaft...very carefully slide it down into each shift fork hole. trick here is keeping them in the grooves ?, and lining up the fork shaft all while getting the shaft to go down ?!..lol. as i said..its really easy. pretty much all lower trannies in all utility atvs are set up the same way ?, just diff size gears..and maybe in the case in another spot ?..but they ALL go together the same way. ( not counting auto's..i don't do those ).

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

putting the tranny back in is really easy !. as long as you do not get any gears off the shafts ?, not lose the thrust washers on the bottom of the shaft ?, its really so easy, is scary !..lol. best way to install both sides, look down in the case, notice one side is higher than the other side ( output shaft bearing side is lower )..now..put the two transmissions together in your hand, all while keeping your fingers in the bottom washers, if you paid attention to the height down in the case ??, this is how you put the two transmission gears together as a set, all the gears line up with the other gears on the shaft. carefully ease the two halves down in the case, while holding onto the thrust washers on the bottom, once down in there right on top of the bearings...both shafts should drop right down inside the bearings..easy !. next i install the shift forks to the right gear..while watching which fork has what letters on them ?..RR is very bottom..the shift fork with the letters face up, it goes on left shaft, next is C, this is your center shift fork, it goes to output shaft, letter facing up, slide it onto the gear, last is the top shift fork, again..letter facing up FW, OR F i think is what is stamped on it ?, i just know it goes in last, letter facing up. then i install the shift drum..carefully getting the ends of shift forks into the shift drum grooves. it can be rough some times..other times..they all just fall right in..but sometimes you have to reach in there..and lift a fork up, maybe 2 of them...or all three to get them into the shift drum grooves.once this is done..i oil up the shift fork shaft...very carefully slide it down into each shift fork hole. trick here is keeping them in the grooves ?, and lining up the fork shaft all while getting the shaft to go down ?!..lol. as i said..its really easy. pretty much all lower trannies in all utility atvs are set up the same way ?, just diff size gears..and maybe in the case in another spot ?..but they ALL go together the same way. ( not counting auto's..i don't do those ).

Oh I know the HOW, it's actually getting all that crap in there and getting the shift forks to stay in place while I slide that rod in that's the problem.  I got clumsy hands!

I also got it all in there and found a shim left over.  Uh oh.   It was the one that goes behind the bottom gear on the left side shaft.    Had to take it all out again to get that shim in place.