Jump to content

Bluezulu49

Members
  • Content Count

    34
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

62 Excellent

2 Followers

Personal Information

  • Location
    Dublin, Ireland
353 profile views
  1. Just want to report that Shade's advice on removing the rocker arm shaft pins worked very well. This week I took the opportunity of a windless day, (no good for fly fishing in a boat ), to take off the cam cover and change the o rings in the rocker arm shafts. It took a while to free the pins using Shade's vice method but they came out and as I suspected the o rings were very hard. There was no elasticity left in them so they both broke as I was taking them off with a pick. The new ones went on fine and I pressed the locking pins back gently using the vice. No pictures I'm afraid as I was working alone. Many thanks again Shade.
  2. Lost the text in the above post. Unfortunately only took one photo of the high undergrowth with a path through it. I was amazed how a single pass of the quad and mower turned an impenetrable jungle of thorny blackberries into an easily walked path. Picture 2 shows the pheasants enjoying a walk in the grass Turbo had just cut and the last picture is of one of the game crops.
  3. I hope these work. Mower Idling
  4. Turbo is back at work today so I'll take up the story. We went cutting yesterday and it quickly became apparent that having 8 blades rather than 4 was putting an extra load on the engine. We were lucky in that the landowner happened to come by and had an 8mm allen key which we needed to remove the blades. Once the mower was back to 4 blades it ran much better in the high grass. I must say that I was sceptical as to how well the mower might work but Turbo did a great job and it works extremely well. It can cope with nettles, briars ( blackberries) and even small willows which grow wild everywhere on the shoot. The game crop in these pictures was just over knee high. It includes millet, sunflower, maize, cornflowers, facelia and some others unknown to me. We wanted to make a path through it so that the pheasants would have a dry space to wander in and to provide access for the feeding quad. I have videos as well and will post them when I figure it out!
  5. Back on to the original topic!. Turbo just came back from holidays with the mower and there is a light film of oil on the camshaft cover. It appears to be coming from a failed o ring on the exhaust valve rocker shaft. I note that there is a reference in the manual to grinding the rocker arm dowel pins and removing them with a special tool. Is it strictly necessary to do this or is there another way to get the pins out? Thanks.
  6. This is another of Turbos projects. Our house was built in 1953. The main structure is built of 4" concrete blocks on their flats which were probably cast on site. Some time in the 1960s the standard for 4" solid blocks here changed to a smaller width and height. So for anyone repairing an old wall there is a problem as the older blocks were both longer and higher. Our boundary wall was damaged by a combination of wind, time and inadequate supporting pillars and as a result it cracked from top to bottom and could be moved by hand. Turbo has had no work since Wednesday so he decided to repair the wall. Fortunately he was able to obtain sand, cement and blocks through his work. All of our hardware stores are closed at the moment so he was lucky to be able to get the materials. He solved the problem of matching old and new by inserting a vertical expansion gap in the wall with supporting pillars on either side of the gap. His mother and me are very lucky to have such a multi talented son. With some luck we will have the gaskets for the tappet adjusters next week and we will then fix the oil leaks in the top of the engine. In the meantime I am taking advantage of Turbo's presence to repoint our patio which I constructed 30 years ago. As an over 70 individual under mandatory cocooning (lockdown) it is now four weeks and one day since I left our house and gardens. Really looking forward to going fishing again and I hope it will be this year. We hope that all of you are safe and at home, as we are.
  7. It turned out that the suspension units from the old trailer are seized solid. I managed to remove the grease nipples ( two per hub) and spray the pivot points with rust killer but could not get them to break free, even with heat. So we bit the bullet and bought two new Knott-Avonride 550 kg suspension units with hubs. It turns out that they were out of stock so we won't have them until tomorrow week. So trailer construction goes on the long finger for a while.
  8. Winter in Australia is warmer than summer here. Our temperature rarely exceeds 20 centigrade or 68 farenheit.
  9. This is what Turbo is currently working on in his spare time. The quad is still away with the mechanic. The blowtorch for popping bubbles is in the top left corner. More spalted beech.
  10. I discussed this with the mechanic who is used to servicing this model. He said that when it is working correctly, the fan operates in very short bursts and is not rated for continuous operation. If we wire to a toggle switch we have no way of knowing how long to run it or when the oil temperature is low enough. There is also the distinct possibility of forgetting to turn off the fan and burning out the motor. There are also the problems of the non operational kill switch and reverse light not working, both of which seem to point to loom issues.
  11. This table top has been finished with epoxy. Very difficult to do here as our ambient temperatures are quite low. The blue bits are epoxy impregnated with glow in the dark powder.
×
×
  • Create New...