F250 guy

Steering lower bearing. 300 fourtrax

Hey guys, it's been a while, been busy working a summer job still am. Anyway I'm replacing the lower bearing, any advice or tricks for that pesky snap ring or cir clip that holds the bearing in. Gotta dive the bearing from the top down I think. Here's where I am so far PB Blaster don't have the good stuff. The top seal if u look from the bottom is still in by the way. Driving me nuts.  Or is the snap ring on top of the bearing hard to exactly tell by the parts diagram and looking from the ground.

IMG_20210801_200937.jpg

IMG_20210801_190838.jpg

Edited by F250 guy

You never mentioned 2wd or 4wd , they are similar but different

The snap ring can get really  rusted in the grove bad , so what all you have to go thru depends , a good first step is to soak it with some good juice and make sure it will move ---  if you can't move it then try to drive the bearing back away from the snap ring , to be should there is not pressure against the ring , then if the ring won't  move , use a punch and hit it a few times on the ends , try to break the rust --- worst case , bend it up and get a new one     

The easiest and quickest way to get any bearing race out a hole is an oxygen / acetylene torch and melt one or two slices thru it and it will just knock out easy 

2wd sorry yes I'm at the rusted on there point and I do have a new snap ring. Was just checking to see. I thought of torch but the rubber brake line close had me concerned. You said to soak n move it do I could see the ends I don't even know where they are at. I'll try to drive the bearing through the top this weekend.

Edited by F250 guy

if the snap ring is not on top of the bearing under the dust seal ?, go from the bottom up, long bar, hammer, beat it up and out of the top. i did not see a snap ring ?, but ..you got it so muddy looking ?, i can't see nuff'n !..lol. DO NOT HIT THE INNER RACE ONLY ON ONE SIDE !!, SWITCH SIDES SO YOU WONT JAM IT IN THERE !.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, shadetree said:

if the snap ring is not on top of the bearing under the dust seal ?, go from the bottom up, long bar, hammer, beat it up and out of the top. i did not see a snap ring ?, but ..you got it so muddy looking ?, i can't see nuff'n !..lol. DO NOT HIT THE INNER RACE ONLY ON ONE SIDE !!, SWITCH SIDES SO YOU WONT JAM IT IN THERE !.

Sorry lol had to start soaking it

4 minutes ago, F250 guy said:

Sorry lol had to start soaking it

ya dont need 10 gallons of gear oil to loosen a snap ring !!!..lol.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, shadetree said:

ya dont need 10 gallons of gear oil to loosen a snap ring !!!..lol.

Lol I can't find the holes on the ends or the ends for that matter. I sprayed  it with PB yesterday, going to try try n get Friday off so I can have the weekend to do it. Whole 3 days. But I know what ur saying. 

3 hours ago, F250 guy said:

Lol I can't find the holes on the ends or the ends for that matter. I sprayed  it with PB yesterday, going to try try n get Friday off so I can have the weekend to do it. Whole 3 days. But I know what ur saying. 

i seen grooves ?...chances are...THERE IS NO SNAP RING DOWN IN THERE !..hammer that bearing out...get-r-done !.

53 minutes ago, shadetree said:

i seen grooves ?...chances are...THERE IS NO SNAP RING DOWN IN THERE !..hammer that bearing out...get-r-done !.

Will do if it will cooperate

1 hour ago, F250 guy said:

Will do if it will cooperate

like i said, hammer it with a bar from under the bottom, switch sides on the inner race, it might break apart ?, if it does ?, you still have room to hit the outer race on each side to hammer it up and out.

• Thanks 1