Ah yes, another trx450S project, story of my life. this is another trx450S from catfish's bone yard ( more like atv lot ?! ) i used a few parts off of it to replace the parts i needed for the '04 trx450fm/s that is now up for sale on CL's. anyway, i finally had a chance to roll this 2001 trx450S into my shop, drain the oil..or shall i say.. '' what i thought was gonna be oil '' ?, nope..water poured out of drain bolt hole for 3 min's, then finally some oil..lol. yep..you guessed it, i ripped the engine out of the frame after speaking to catfish, we both decided to tear it all apart, give it a good washing inside the cases. i needed to remove the front cover anyway, and see how bad the cam chain was ?, sure enough, it was stretched a little..not really bad ?, but bad enough i would not trust it in the long rides !, so i sat down, and ordered up some new parts from rmatv.

List of new oem parts : brand new oem speedo ( they call them speedo's on the early 450's ), brand new air box, air box lid, air filter, filter stay, air box to carb boot, air filter cage ( metal part inside air filter ), air box lid clips, oem complete gasket kit, D.I.D. cam chain. i did not order oil seals this go around, i looked all these over, and they seem to look to be in great/new shape ?, will leave them in. i tried to hammer the centrifugal clutch off the crank, but this one is not letting go easy as all the rest ?, it has been off before, as i can see two nut stakes on the nut..so whoever installed it back on ?, hammered the crap out of it back then, and i can not get it to pop off to save my life, so..i finally bit the bullet, and ordered a clutch puller tool to never run across this issue again in the future. i do have a spec bolt i use to remove the flywheels, got that covered.

I do not know what kinda final shape this project will turn out to be yet ?, but if anyone knows who i am building this for ?, knows money is an issue when it comes to restoring a atv for him..lol. i will try my best to make it a good atv for someone to enjoy , but i can only do so much with the parts i have on hand. NO, i do not have any pic's to post yet, i've been really busy lately, and have not had time to do much of anything. just came back from the eye doc tuesday, got rust chip in my right eye, it's healing right now, still hurts..but i'll live..YES..I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE HAD SAFETY GLASSES ON WHEN I WAS WORKING ON REMOVING THAT RUSTY HITCH FROM THIS PROJECT ?!..lol..i'm hard headed..suck it up butter cup..lol. i will update this project as i go.it wont go fast..i got too many sticks in the fire right now, one thing at a time.

I have a early trx450es ( no..i am not working on the engine ! ) for a cust who needs a rear end rebuilt, i got a brand new oem rear diff from honda, left rear axle tube bearing and oil seal, axle, and rear hubs on order for him, waiting on those parts to come in, so i can put his atv back together, adjust the valves, collect my labor fee ( 275 bucks ) to do all of this. he claims to have a trx300 that needs a top end job ?, told him i'd do it for 300 bucks, we'll see how that pans out.

I also have a trx420fm in the future that may or may not need an engine over haul ?, have not heard back from him yet ?, we spoke a couple months ago, he's in our deer camp, wants me to fix this atv, we'll see how this pans out soon, he said he was gonna bring it to me in april ?, time will tell. soooo, as you can see..i stay very busy..always got something going on. anyway, i'll keep this project going when i can ?, just don't expect to see new info every day !..lol.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, shadetree said:

Ah yes, another trx450S project, story of my life. this is another trx450S from catfish's bone yard ( more like atv lot ?! ) i used a few parts off of it to replace the parts i needed for the '04 trx450fm/s that is now up for sale on CL's. anyway, i finally had a chance to roll this 2001 trx450S into my shop, drain the oil..or shall i say.. '' what i thought was gonna be oil '' ?, nope..water poured out of drain bolt hole for 3 min's, then finally some oil..lol. yep..you guessed it, i ripped the engine out of the frame after speaking to catfish, we both decided to tear it all apart, give it a good washing inside the cases. i needed to remove the front cover anyway, and see how bad the cam chain was ?, sure enough, it was stretched a little..not really bad ?, but bad enough i would not trust it in the long rides !, so i sat down, and ordered up some new parts from rmatv.

List of new oem parts : brand new oem speedo ( they call them speedo's on the early 450's ), brand new air box, air box lid, air filter, filter stay, air box to carb boot, air filter cage ( metal part inside air filter ), air box lid clips, oem complete gasket kit, D.I.D. cam chain. i did not order oil seals this go around, i looked all these over, and they seem to look to be in great/new shape ?, will leave them in. i tried to hammer the centrifugal clutch off the crank, but this one is not letting go easy as all the rest ?, it has been off before, as i can see two nut stakes on the nut..so whoever installed it back on ?, hammered the crap out of it back then, and i can not get it to pop off to save my life, so..i finally bit the bullet, and ordered a clutch puller tool to never run across this issue again in the future. i do have a spec bolt i use to remove the flywheels, got that covered.

I do not know what kinda final shape this project will turn out to be yet ?, but if anyone knows who i am building this for ?, knows money is an issue when it comes to restoring a atv for him..lol. i will try my best to make it a good atv for someone to enjoy , but i can only do so much with the parts i have on hand. NO, i do not have any pic's to post yet, i've been really busy lately, and have not had time to do much of anything. just came back from the eye doc tuesday, got rust chip in my right eye, it's healing right now, still hurts..but i'll live..YES..I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE HAD SAFETY GLASSES ON WHEN I WAS WORKING ON REMOVING THAT RUSTY HITCH FROM THIS PROJECT ?!..lol..i'm hard headed..suck it up butter cup..lol. i will update this project as i go.it wont go fast..i got too many sticks in the fire right now, one thing at a time.

I have a early trx450es ( no..i am not working on the engine ! ) for a cust who needs a rear end rebuilt, i got a brand new oem rear diff from honda, left rear axle tube bearing and oil seal, axle, and rear hubs on order for him, waiting on those parts to come in, so i can put his atv back together, adjust the valves, collect my labor fee ( 275 bucks ) to do all of this. he claims to have a trx300 that needs a top end job ?, told him i'd do it for 300 bucks, we'll see how that pans out.

I also have a trx420fm in the future that may or may not need an engine over haul ?, have not heard back from him yet ?, we spoke a couple months ago, he's in our deer camp, wants me to fix this atv, we'll see how this pans out soon, he said he was gonna bring it to me in april ?, time will tell. soooo, as you can see..i stay very busy..always got something going on. anyway, i'll keep this project going when i can ?, just don't expect to see new info every day !..lol.

What did they do for the rust chip in your eye?  

I seem to always get something in mine when I don’t wear glasses.  When I wear them they end up fogging up or filthy.

Still though, my grandfather used to say you only get one set of eyes, so take care of them

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

What did they do for the rust chip in your eye?  

I seem to always get something in mine when I don’t wear glasses.  When I wear them they end up fogging up or filthy.

Still though, my grandfather used to say you only get one set of eyes, so take care of them

she got it out with a very small pair of tweezers , had also build up of rust, eye is sore..but doing better. i am the same way you are..never bother finding them, go ahead..and sure enough..always get something in my eyes !..lol. i'll learn one of these days. gave me some eye drops to use, gotta go back thursday for a check-up.

• Like 2

still waiting on parts, can't dig back into the engine until i get the clutch tool..that has not left ga yet ?!. usps is a total wreck right now, lord help ya if ya order anything lately !.

update: still no clutch puller tool ?, gasket kit, cam chain, and shindy piston kit should hit here soon, i know the gasket kit and cam chain is near...but the shindy piston kit won't make it here prob until monday ?, as it shows it just left memphis lastnight. once the piston kit arrives, i'll take it, and a cylinder to go have the cylinder bored to match piston kit. until i get my clutch puller tool ?, i can't tear the engine all the way down, this has me on a big hold up right now. i would really love to buy all new plastics for this build , but its not wise to invest in such an older atv these days, and make money or at least break even, so that is prob out of the question for right now.

• Like 1

update: i got everything except the clutch puller tool yesterday, EVEN GOT MY SHINDY PISTON KIT !..WOW..i wish everyone on ebay shipped as fast as g&h discount atv supply does ?!..they are on the ball for sure.i said screw it, went down to my local honda dealership, they let me barrow a clutch puller tool, came home, took about 2 min's to pop the clutch off, went and returned the tool, bunch of nice folks at my local honda dealership, then again..i spend tons of cash with them..lol.

I did not do anything else on this project, i got all the parts to finish the '98 trx450es for the guy, wrapped that up, called him, he came over with the set of tires...bigger tires at that !..omg..he'll have that brand new rear end destroyed in a couple days..lol. gonna try to make it to the shop this morning, tear this '01 trx450s motor all part, it looks nasty inside, but i've seen worse lately..lol. i won't be able to get the cylinder bored out this weekend, the guy that does it, does not work on stuff ( that i know of ? ) on weekends. but i can get the motor torn down, washed/cleaned all out, and get the bottom end back together. for anyone buying on ebay for parts ?, DO NOT BUY FROM THIS PLACE ---> bikebrokeratl on eBay !!!, STAY FAR..FAR AWAY FROM THIS SELLER !!. they take forever to ship, he claims he's 35 miles from the nearest post office ?, shoot...even jeep69's post office isn't that far from him ?!..lol. this is where i bought the clutch puller tool, and it still has not made it to little rock, maybe next yr ??..lol.

• Like 4

I been pushing G+H for a long time , glad to see you got on the wagon 

• Like 1

update: got most of the lower motor together on this 2001 trx450s, was a very long day, spent most of it cleaning the crud off of the cases, washing out the rocks that were inside the cases..lol.

2001 trx450s lower motor going together.JPG

• Like 4

update: lower engine is together. i decided to replace all the oil seals, may as well seeing how i had it apart.

IMG_0065.JPG

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0067.JPG

IMG_0068.JPG

• Like 4

update: got the rear end installed, front end installed, motor installed, wire harness semi-installed for now. just came in from the shop, been out there for a few hrs, its going on 2:30 am, i'm tired. placed an order for a new seat, side panel that goes over the pull starter, right side engine cover, new grips, end caps for the grips, button for reverse, and the foot brake cable, all from rmatv. i still need to check the condition ( if they are even on the plastics ? ) to see if how good fender splash guards are ?, still need the heel guards for the foot rest, need tires and rims, muffler, fuel tank heat shield , front rack, rear rack, front bumper. i'm sure i am forgetting some things ?, but that is all i can think of right now ?. still need to find a fuel petcock for this fuel tank , i think ??..the one from this trx500faa will be the same as a trx450s ?, not sure yet...have not checked to see if they are the same ?. i wonder how far jeep is with his build ?, this one is kicking my butt sideways !. we don't have a lot of cash into it yet ?, it prob around 400 tops in parts ?, i'll have to add it all up when i get everything i need ordered that i will need for it. i was thinking about putting super atv disk brake kit on it ?, but catfish would have a fit if i spent more of his cash !..lol. so for now, i'll keep the front drum brakes, i already have them all torn down, cleaned up, ready to bolt back on, so they will need new brake shoes up front, pretty sure they use the same brake shoes as trx300fw's ?, catfish will have to buy some shoes if he does not have any laying around, i know him, he'll slap used , worn shoes on it..he's tight with money..lol. this project wont be as nice as the '04 trx450fm ?, but it will be alot better looking then when i started with it !. i'll keep this thread updated as i go, if i can remember ?, lol, i'll post some pics of what all i got done soon !.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

. i wonder how far jeep is with his build ?,

Well, I got the a-arms back from my buddy yesterday so I can get that rear end in, get it rolling, and move it around the yard.

Plan was to get up this morning, work on the engine till dawn, the hit the beaver dams. 

Instead,  I hit snooze and didn't get up till 6:30, went straight for the beaver dams.  LOL

33 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Well, I got the a-arms back from my buddy yesterday so I can get that rear end in, get it rolling, and move it around the yard.

Plan was to get up this morning, work on the engine till dawn, the hit the beaver dams. 

Instead,  I hit snooze and didn't get up till 6:30, went straight for the beaver dams.  LOL

ya snooze..ya loose !..lol. i'm dragging my butt on this build, way to many things have to be cleaned, painted, and purchased..lol.

• Haha 1

update: finally got far enough to do a test fire , she lives once again !. have not ran it long enough to go through the gears, no exhaust at all on motor, can not run it long like this. once i get it far enough to run the right way. i'll check out the tranny. but for now...i'm pretty happy i took a pile of junk motor, and got it to run again !. stay tuned later for some pic's !.

• Like 3

update: here is a couple pic's of what i've got done so far, i'm beat, called it a day. i need to get out to catfishes place, rob the muffler, fuel tank heat shield, and round up some wheels. just checked the front and rear fenders that were on this build, not one single splash guard , or heel guard to use, can't wait to hear nasty words from catfish when i tell him he's gotta buy all new parts for this !..lol. the es model is different than the manual shifts models, can't use those splash guards or heel guards, least i know the es uses floor boards on those models, where is the manual shifts models just have heel guards behind the foot rest. take a look at the main headlight ?, it was scratched up very bad !!..i sanded most out, buffed it up, it will work good for what i got to use.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

• Like 2

p.s. THIS DOES HAVE A BRAND NEW METER/SPEEDO ON IT !..engine was rebuilt, it got a new meter/speedo to help sell it, ZERO HRS AND MILES !.

• Like 4

16 hours ago, shadetree said:

update: here is a couple pic's of what i've got done so far, i'm beat, called it a day. i need to get out to catfishes place, rob the muffler, fuel tank heat shield, and round up some wheels. just checked the front and rear fenders that were on this build, not one single splash guard , or heel guard to use, can't wait to hear nasty words from catfish when i tell him he's gotta buy all new parts for this !..lol. the es model is different than the manual shifts models, can't use those splash guards or heel guards, least i know the es uses floor boards on those models, where is the manual shifts models just have heel guards behind the foot rest. take a look at the main headlight ?, it was scratched up very bad !!..i sanded most out, buffed it up, it will work good for what i got to use.

IMG_0073.JPG

IMG_0074.JPG

If he has ES floorboards they'll work.  Some people actually prefer them.  https://www.hondaforeman.com/threads/es-floor-board-mod.65152/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

If he has ES floorboards they'll work.  Some people actually prefer them.  https://www.hondaforeman.com/threads/es-floor-board-mod.65152/

but then you need all the metal rods to hold it up. nah..ordered the stock heel guards , keeping it as stock as posb. spent 5 1/2 hrs out at catfish's place removing parts off the es model, rounding up rims, tires, just got home a few mins ago..i'm freaking tired...was so sore last night, did not sleep well, now i'm worn out from atv part shopping..lol.

17 minutes ago, shadetree said:

but then you need all the metal rods to hold it up. nah..ordered the stock heel guards , keeping it as stock as posb. spent 5 1/2 hrs out at catfish's place removing parts off the es model, rounding up rims, tires, just got home a few mins ago..i'm freaking tired...was so sore last night, did not sleep well, now i'm worn out from atv part shopping..lol.

Ha, I have the metal rods, don't have the floorboards.  My wife's uncle had all the flares and floorboards off to run rice tires spraying rice levees, and someone hauled them all off.

17 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Ha, I have the metal rods, don't have the floorboards.  My wife's uncle had all the flares and floorboards off to run rice tires spraying rice levees, and someone hauled them all off.

well, i left the floor boards on it..lol.

update: i spent all day yesterday getting the front brakes all back together, and one problem after another hit me when getting them to work. first, i could not get any brake fluid to go through the brake lines, then the plunger would not return back out, then the sight glass was leaking, FINALLY after another trip to catfish's place for another brake line, got back home, only to find out, part of that brake line ( top part ) was stopped up as well !..aghhh. sliced my thumb up taking it off the frame on the backing plate, becareful folks..the edge on these are very sharp !. swapped out the top part of the line, got it all back together, then the plunger and sight glass was having fits leaking and not coming back out. grabbed the master cylinder off the trx500faa that is sitting in my yard..HEY..I FINALLY FOUND A USE FOR THESE THINGS !..LOL. got that installed, adjusted my brake shoes out, started pinching the brake line at the master cylinder, got pressure !. front brakes are done now, rear brakes done, still need to paint and install the rear brake drum cover. all brake cables working. engine runs top notch, did have a problem with dirt dobbers stopping up the muffler after i cranked it up, got all that blown out, runs great, even fired up without using the choke at first crank. fuel tank is cleaned out, installed, no leaks, used the petcock from one of the trx500faa bikes, they do fit great, but the knob must be turned 180 to line up with the markings on the side cover to match, easy fix. had a chance to test the tranny out, all gears and reverse work great. still need to paint the rims, picked up some good tires. stayed stock rims on front: 25x8x12, and rear is 25x10x12. i need to do some welding on front bumper, a winch was bolted to it, and did some damage to it, DO NOT BOLT WINCHES TO ANY PART OF THE BUMPERS..OR RACKS !!..winches are suppose to be bolted to the main part of the frame. bumpers and racks CAN NOT TAKE THE STRESS FROM WINCH PULLS !. 

Once i get the front bumper fixed, i'll paint it, and the racks, start putting plastics back on. still need to get the sub-lights cleaned and installed in the front grill, if anyone does not know ?, the '98 -'01 models use the same headlights as the trx300fw's use !. i did get the rest of the parts from rmatv, heel guards, front fender splash guards ( the large ones ), can't install these until i get the plastics back on. now that i only got 9 fingers to work with ?, it will even be slower putting this back together..lol. if i can remember ??, i'll snap some pic's soon !.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

update: as promised, here's a few pics of this project, i sure wish i was putting all new plastics on it ?, but i am not..as this is not mine to sell. enjoy !.

IMG_0077.JPG

IMG_0076.JPG

IMG_0075.JPG

• Like 3

update: if i can finish this build ?, the folks that bought the '04 trx450S say they have some one that is interested in buying this build ?!. we'll see here in a few more days. i got a few things to do to make it a decent ride. i got the front rack and front bumper painted, need to get the front fender installed, fix the head lights in the grill/buckets, get them to work, install the tail lights and working, rear rack painted and installed, wheels painted and installed, drop the seat on ( new seat ), then make sure it runs, stops..she'll be ready. these buyers that bought the '04 trx450S also want me to build them 2-3 trx300fw's for their kids ?..aghhhh...lol. i told them i build them as well, have a few to choose from the bone yard. i need to hire some help !..lol.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

update: almost done !. got the oil temp to connect on bottom, install bottom skid plate, install front boot protectors, then i will be done, should have it done by the end of tomorrow ?, we'll see how my day goes ?..lol.

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0087.JPG

IMG_0086.JPG

IMG_0085.JPG

IMG_0084.JPG

IMG_0083.JPG

IMG_0082.JPG

IMG_0081.JPG

• Like 4