LedFTed

es not shifting

i had to stop working on the 450es 2000, years ago, 2017, when i landed on my back on a set of steps, 4th, July. a case of sciatica soon followed. getting to where i can spend an hour or so working on it.

im on page 60 in the clymers manual.TRX450 foreman / 98-04.. [ disconnect the shift switch connector ], sitting in the seat, is that the connector on the right side of the atv, under the gas tank? i had trouble at that connector in 2017.

i fairly sure in the parts fiche, it shows the main relay as a starter relay. i cant find the new main relay i bought, so i used one i got from amazon. the starter relay on the parts fiche was $49.oo. it wasnt the solenoid. anyway i couldnt find a main relay, on the parts fiche.

the old relay was showing 120k ohms, across the power contacts. the one from amazon 0 ohms.

well; there shouldnt be one, and i dont see one, just wanted to double check in case i missed something[shift switch connector].

i've got to the handle bar switch. so far OK.

8 hours ago, LedFTed said:

well; there shouldnt be one, and i dont see one, just wanted to double check in case i missed something[shift switch connector].

i've got to the handle bar switch. so far OK.

Don't know much about the ES , 'cept to never own one personally , do know if I was having problems I'd go this route >>>

ES by-pass harness , this one is $78 with free shipping , I have seen  them as low as $49 ,  if you look around 

image.png

https://hondaesshiftkit.com/products-98-04-honda-foreman-450-es/

I'd also get rid of that clymers and Haynes book, and get the honda bible, but I've said this before......... sigh...... lol! i don't why so many of you come here for the BEST honda help/advise there is bar none, and yall know very the top mechanics here DO NOT use those cheep knock off books..... when ? the top guys have to research the books, they always go with the books specifically writen, and detailed for honda machines the honda repair manual. 

Edited by _Wilson_™

i only got a clymers manual. sometimes i write the wrong word. it has color wiring diagrams, and as far as testing, is word for word as the honda repair manual. color wiring diagrams work better for me.  i had already bought this manual before i ever joined a forum. an no, i aint gonna throw in in the trash. i forget how many Haynes manuals i got for cars or trucks.  even got one motors auto repair hard copy from 1961, i like having different sources of information,

On 5/6/2022 at 6:18 AM, Fishfiles said:

Don't know much about the ES , 'cept to never own one personally , do know if I was having problems I'd go this route >>>

ES by-pass harness , this one is $78 with free shipping , I have seen  them as low as $49 ,  if you look around 

image.png

https://hondaesshiftkit.com/products-98-04-honda-foreman-450-es/

i got to go through the carb again from sitting so long. the motor stalls. before it would keep running, after a stall. i never got around to talking about it much because of the non-shifting issue.

it makes a sharp metallic sound, when it does this. i'm not saying its the timing chain for sure, could be related to carburation, got 5,000 miles on it, my 450. i'm open for suggestions.

relays have been on my mind.  i had it to shift a couple of times, back then. i tried one more,(jumping of the main relay) an it quit shifting again.

Edited by LedFTed
non-spelling

7 hours ago, LedFTed said:

. i'm open for suggestions.

First , I have to ask , do you promise to not get your feeling hurt and / or  hold a grudge ???  LOL 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1