OldHillwalker

2012 Foreman ES Stuck in neutral?

As I was moving my 2012 Forman 500 ES today.  This happened:  With ignition on, the gear shows  (first gear), and then the indicator goes out.  It will not  crank.  The bike can be pushed around as though it is in neutral.  The shift buttons do not work.  I can start the bike with the front brake applied, but it will not move in gear.   The emergency gear selector wrench will not move either CW or CCW like it is frozen in position. 

I have a copy of the service manual and when performing diagnostics it says that if the emergency tool can not be moved, it takes you to transmission disassembly pictures.  Pages 12-9 and 14-8  which are in full engine and tranny disassembly.  Scary stuff.! 

Any suggestions? 

I just came over from HondaForeman.com.  Joining this site was recommended by a member on that forum.  

I have used a 12 mm wrench to turn my ES manual shift lever and found it turns very hard, at least mine.  I also thought it was stuck but with a little more force was able to shift the trans.  Just my 2 cents worth......

Mines a 98 450ES so no codes on mine....

2 hours ago, OldHillwalker said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm getting a 22 code when I turn the key on. 

22 code shows angle sensor problems.

If you look at the top of the page, there's a link called "service manuals".  Open it, and go to Honda, then utility, then pick the 500 Foreman FM FE tab, then click on the 2012 manual, and look on page 23-13.

If your machine will not shift using the emergency footshifter, my guess is the bolt has come out of the front of the shift drum so your shift linkage is gaummed up.

See if you can get your angle sensor taken care of first, and then if you still have no shifting with either the ES or emergency shifter, you might have to stand the bike up on the rear rack and pull the front cover to have a look.

Try rolling the machine a little back and forth when trying to use the emergency shifter.

If you replace the angle sensor, OEM ONLY!  Don't buy cheap chinese crap off of amazon/ebay.  That stuff rarely works.

Remove the shift motor and then see if you can manually shift it. It's likely the magnets inside the shift motor broke apart locking it.