Currently

DCT prepping with synthetic grease?

@retro

I’m still an ATV noob, worked and maintained my motorcycles for years. 

I read your article several times on maintaining and improving the ES system to understand what is being done.  

One thing that I got from reading is the DCT is a different beast and doesn’t apply to this procedure. 
Other than the dielectric grease which I will be doing in the coming month, is there a similar procedure for the DCT?

The main use for my Rubicon will be working on my property, some logging, hauling crap with my trailer and last but not least trail riding on fire roads and local ATV trails.  
Not interested in submerging it or doing high angle climbs with it.  

Only mods are protective mods; OEM bumpers, aluminum skid plates, recoil starter and Warn/Honda plow system.  
I do have the  current service manual and studying it.  

Thanks for that write up, it is quite eye opening.  

Edited by Currently
  • Like 2

Ive done it to the Rubicon DCT & its about the same. I had a 2016 & found the ECU wasnt programmed to physically shift it fast enough, grease or not, I even had it flashed as an 17 & still very little difference. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Currently said:

One thing that I got from reading is the DCT is a different beast and doesn’t apply to this procedure. 
Other than the dielectric grease which I will be doing in the coming month, is there a similar procedure for the DCT?

Great question! The DCT system consists of two separate primary shifting methods: Auto mode and ESP mode. The ESP shift mode utilizes the same type of hardware (a shift motor, a reduction gears set and reduction gears support bearings) as previous non-DCT models. So the answer to your question is yes, the same ES system prep steps are required for DCT models as well, in order to solve the same problems as standard ES models have and so ES system prep applies to DCT/ESP shift models for the same reasons.

I have a 2019 Rancher DCT in my yard right now, there was hardly any grease on the reduction gears and the support bearings felt almost completely devoid of any grease. There is no excuse for that sort of factory neglect.

Here is the relevant ESP  hardware section snipped out of the '19 Rancher service manual so you can see how similar the DCT/ESP systems are to the older non-DCT  ES system.

esp.png

Have fun with it!

• Like 3