jeepwm69

98 450ES, no spark

Brother in law just dropped off a 98 450 ES, says no spark.

Very clean machine.  Diffs are rear brake panel are still shiny aluminum, meter and gas gauge are still clean and clear.

Battery is dead, so will have to put one on to start troubleshooting.  

• Like 1

That’s a full time 4wd right? No power steering. No fuel gauge. Downright simple except for ES. Wonder if it gets an oil light right away.

I will have to look for that again. I don’t believe I did see the oil light come on. 

No error codes.  Had a foot shifter installed.  N showing on display and green neutral light is on.

What is this thing?  Only one wire had power.  In the battery box next to fuse box.

FBA88EF4-CC06-43FA-A045-AFE47A3E9171.jpeg

EAED7CED-DE64-4E25-ACBE-2CF99169A538.jpeg

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

I will have to look for that again. I don’t believe I did see the oil light come on. 

No error codes.  Had a foot shifter installed.  N showing on display and green neutral light is on.

What is this thing?  Only one wire had power.  In the battery box next to fuse box.

sec pic might be the fuse holder ?, or starter relay ?. me thinks its the fuse holder.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

sec pic might be the fuse holder ?, or starter relay ?. me thinks its the fuse holder.

Looks like some kinda relay.  I’ll look it up in the schematics

Starter relay.  Starter works fine. Just no spark.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/38501-GN2-014?ref=901f85ccb24e3560ed23b4bec6380a53678df829

I have the FSM on my computer at work.  Will dig into it tomorrow.

if i remeber correctly ?, if the fan control does not work on this model ?, the oil light will not come on shortly, then it won't fire spark plug.

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

if i remeber correctly ?, if the fan control does not work on this model ?, the oil light will not come on shortly, then it won't fire spark plug.

Oul light does come on for a few seconds and then go off as it should

48 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Oul light does come on for a few seconds and then go off as it should

ok..yer good on that part.

On 2/13/2023 at 2:02 AM, shadetree said:

also, check out the reg/rec, a bad reg/rec will stop it from firing, case in point, watch this video --> No spark problem Fixed!!! 1998 honda foreman 450 better picture - YouTube , he also covers the c.d.i. , but in detail, it was a bad reg/rec.

This one happened to have a Chinese/aftermarket voltage regulator on it. After checking cross reference I took the one off my kids 05 350 rancher and put it on this 450 and it fired right up.

Placed an order for a replacement regulator from Powersports nation for a hair over 15 bucks.

Told the owner to bring me a 30 pack of Miller light and an 18 pack of Mich ultra for the wife.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

This one happened to have a Chinese/aftermarket voltage regulator on it. After checking cross reference I took the one off my kids 05 350 rancher and put it on this 450 and it fired right up.

Placed an order for a replacement regulator from Powersports nation for a hair over 15 bucks.

Told the owner to bring me a 30 pack of Miller light and an 18 pack of Mich ultra for the wife.

haha..i don't see any orders for a 30 pack of bud ??..lol. glad ya got it sorted out !.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

haha..i don't see any orders for a 30 pack of bud ??..lol. glad ya got it sorted out !.

I’ll bring you a consulting fee next time I see you lol

• Haha 1

On 2/12/2023 at 5:50 PM, jeepwm69 said:

[1st pic] on my 2000 450ES that is the Main Relay (inside a rubber holder)