shadetree

axle on camper flipped

spent all day today pulling my camper axle out from under the camper, putting the springs back up, and mounting the axle under the springs, used a dexter axle conversion kit, now i won't worry about tearing anything else off from under the camper when i go back to the deer woods !. i already bent one of the stabilizer jacks !, got 4 new ones to replace the ones on it now, these new jacks are rated @ 10k each. did not mount them yet ?, just got done with the axle flip, i'm tired..lol. i think it turned out really well !. a before lift, and after lift pic.

IMG_1412.JPG

IMG_0530.JPG

• Like 5

Must just be a down south thing. Cuz up here all campers look lifted like you did there. Only positive i could see from it would be maybe a marginal bit better gas milage being less wind drag.

24 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

Must just be a down south thing. Cuz up here all campers look lifted like you did there. Only positive i could see from it would be maybe a marginal bit better gas milage being less wind drag.

by lifting it, i save my jacks, save my septic line, and can now lower my rear steps that go into the back door, and be able to open and close the rear door without it jamming up on the top of the steps. the steps fold up into the doorway when traveling. last but not least, it will level up better to my WDH on my truck, and the tension bars won't drag on the ground as much. so yeah..this will save me a ton of headche in the long run. yes..i'll lose mpg a tad ?, but its not enough to worry about, camper only weighs in about 3k empty i think it is ?.

• Like 2

I found a sure-fire way to protect the rear stabilizers when pulling into a steep driveway with an abrupt change in angle.  Mount your wife's bicycle on the back bumper.

20220928_143434.jpg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, shadetree said:

by lifting it, i save my jacks, save my septic line, and can now lower my rear steps that go into the back door, and be able to open and close the rear door without it jamming up on the top of the steps. the steps fold up into the doorway when traveling. last but not least, it will level up better to my WDH on my truck, and the tension bars won't drag on the ground as much. so yeah..this will save me a ton of headche in the long run. yes..i'll lose mpg a tad ?, but its not enough to worry about, camper only weighs in about 3k empty i think it is ?.

I guess being that light maybe they put it that low to help line the frame up with suv's. Being that light i would bet they are pulled by suvs and cars more than trucks? The functional benefit is worth your effort though for sure. We broke our main sewer line on our camper pulling into a track that had some less than level access. Wasnt a hard fix its just abs cut and glued on the new pieces and it was like it never happened. Our toyhauler is leaf over axle already so cant go any higher without lift blocks. The placement of the sewer pipe is dumb though. Only a foot back from the front of the camper way to far forward of the axles.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SlammedRanger said:

I guess being that light maybe they put it that low to help line the frame up with suv's. Being that light i would bet they are pulled by suvs and cars more than trucks? The functional benefit is worth your effort though for sure. We broke our main sewer line on our camper pulling into a track that had some less than level access. Wasnt a hard fix its just abs cut and glued on the new pieces and it was like it never happened. Our toyhauler is leaf over axle already so cant go any higher without lift blocks. The placement of the sewer pipe is dumb though. Only a foot back from the front of the camper way to far forward of the axles.

yeah..this camper was meant to be pulled by light cars and trucks, i have no issue at all pulling it with my 1/2 ton silverado. i'm set up to pull over 10k if i wanted too ?. i have the toe package. even with my camper being so light ?, i still use a WDH, only because i haul my  450 foreman in the truck bed..lol.

3 hours ago, 56Sierra said:

I found a sure-fire way to protect the rear stabilizers when pulling into a steep driveway with an abrupt change in angle.  Mount your wife's bicycle on the back bumper.

20220928_143434.jpg

oh my !..thats a sure fire way to make the wife a tad mad i bet ?..lol. this is the very reason why i decided to raise my camper, to keep crap like this from taking place !..lol.

5 hours ago, shadetree said:

oh my !..thats a sure fire way to make the wife a tad mad i bet ?..lol. this is the very reason why i decided to raise my camper, to keep crap like this from taking place !..lol.

I did that pulling in to a friend's driveway and paying more attention to the limited visibility ahead on the 55 MPH road than the left turn into his driveway.

14 minutes ago, 56Sierra said:

I did that pulling in to a friend's driveway and paying more attention to the limited visibility ahead on the 55 MPH road than the left turn into his driveway.

i hear ya, driveways and gas stations here an there all have dips going into them and out, it gets high dollar replacing parts that gets wrecked, sad about yer wifes bike, thats a cute little thing !.