02RancherES

Fan/Display issues

Hi All I have a 02 Rancher 350fe/es 

Fan works if I ground it out yes oil light stays on .I changed the oil sensor also . 

Display back light works fine  head lights work  .But fan won't kick on . I've risen it for up to 30-40 mins and nothing .Is it the display causing it not to kick on or maybe the oil sensor wire but doubt that due to if I ground that wire fan kicks on . Or possibly the ECM   any help or ideas will be appreciated .  They said to reach out to @AKATV but it won't let me message him . Thanks again for any info .

16802198451512861480830489866836.jpg

16802198812508425223060674908630.jpg

Welcome aboard. 

If the fan kicks on and the oil temp light comes on when the wire is grounded, the ECM and everything is working as it should.

You say the oil sensor is new (OEM I hope, not sure if anyone even makes an aftermarket).  

These things have to get pretty hot for the fan to kick on.  What is the ambient temp when you're running it, and are you working it hard or just cruising around?

On the 350's the display is only a display, so you shouldn't lose any functionality on the ATV from a display issue.  AKATV should be able to fix that display for you though.

@AKATV

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard. 

If the fan kicks on and the oil temp light comes on when the wire is grounded, the ECM and everything is working as it should.

You say the oil sensor is new (OEM I hope, not sure if anyone even makes an aftermarket).  

These things have to get pretty hot for the fan to kick on.  What is the ambient temp when you're running it, and are you working it hard or just cruising around?

On the 350's the display is only a display, so you shouldn't lose any functionality on the ATV from a display issue.  AKATV should be able to fix that display for you though.

@AKATV

I am kinda doing both riding hard then cruising .  It's around 85-90 degrees in Florida . .picture has oil sensor. But it was doing it before I changed oil sensor . I changed it to see if that was the problem . Thanks again 

Screenshot_20230331-112444.png

59 minutes ago, 02RancherES said:

I am kinda doing both riding hard then cruising .  It's around 85-90 degrees in Florida . .picture has oil sensor. But it was doing it before I changed oil sensor . I changed it to see if that was the problem . Thanks again 

Screenshot_20230331-112444.png

First thing I'd do is test either the old oil sensor or the new oil sensor.  Or get a new OEM sensor.  The chinese aftermarket crap is hit or miss at best.  Lots of parts don't work right out of the box.

But again, the fact that the fan cuts on with the wire grounded shows that either nothing is wrong, or the oil temp sensor is bad.

When the engine oil temp reaches a certain temp, that sensor grounds, which cuts on the fan and the oil temp light. 

@Goober is the oil temp expert here LOL

• Like 1

my money is the temp sensor is bad, did you buy this sensor on ebay ?, amazon ?, or from a local honda dealership ?. china parts don't like japan made atv's..lol.

41 minutes ago, shadetree said:

my money is the temp sensor is bad, did you buy this sensor on ebay ?, amazon ?, or from a local honda dealership ?. china parts don't like japan made atv's..lol.

So your thinking the original one that was in the ATV was bad and the new one from Amazon o bought is bad also 

How to you test them with your multimeter ? 

Well you have to heat them to test them.  That thread I linked from Goober tells you how.

My guess is, there's nothing wrong with the original one.  You probably just didn't get it hot enough to cycle the fan on.