matto

Honda Forman No Spark

Hello

I am currenly trying to repair a atv for for my Granpa. The proplem that I have determined is there is no spark. The atv no longer has the modle number on it. Based on what I see the unit is a 2000 honda forman 1999 HONDA TRX450S

I dont know much about repairing these things. I have done a bit of research and wanted to see if i am on track in repairing it. Any input to get to the botttom of the problem would be greatly appreaciated.

From my under standing there could be a few things causing no spark.  1) Bad Stater  2)  Bad pulse 3) CDI  4) Ignition Coil 5) Kill Switch ) Nutral switch 

Nert time I go visit him I was going to take a look at his machine.  I was going to take a look at his machine. I was going to check the stato.r Do I take my resistance values from the clip attached to the voltage regualtor (YtoY YtoG)? If that checks out I was going to move onto the pulse. I read it should have 0.7volts. If that checks out I was going to move to the ignition coil. I think I read there should be 100v going to the ignition coil. If that checks out it must be the kill switch or the nutral switch. How do I check to see if the kill switch is the problem or nutral switch is the problem 

I recently had the same problem. Found out the voltage regulator supply's the coil. From my understanding it is only on the foreman's. Friend had regulator off his. Put it on started up. Bought one on Amazon for $25.00. solved problem.

• Like 2

forgot to mention bought new cid box and new key switch. $200.00 later found out it was the regulator.

I just fixed one for someone a few weeks ago.  Was also a bad regulator.  I'd start with that.  Do you know anyone with a 450 or a 350 Rancher who would let you borrow their regulator to test?

Just got my 1998 450ES no spark fixed, it was a bad kill switch.  I can wiggle it back and forth for it to let voltage thru, but it definitely cuts the spark .....

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I just fixed one for someone a few weeks ago.  Was also a bad regulator.  I'd start with that.  Do you know anyone with a 450 or a 350 Rancher who would let you borrow their regulator to test?

I actully order a new regulator because it was so cheap. 

I was wondering if the voltage regulator could cause a no spark. There is three wires going to the regulator from the stator y y y . The other two lines line goes to the battery and ground

11 hours ago, slf1 said:

I recently had the same problem. Found out the voltage regulator supply's the coil. From my understanding it is only on the foreman's. Friend had regulator off his. Put it on started up. Bought one on Amazon for $25.00. solved problem.

I did not know this. I have a wiring diagram but did not see that Screenshot 2023-06-07 184135.png

The last 2 450ES/S machines i worked on that had a no spark condition were bad voltage regulators

-Its the first thing that I check now (after kill switch lol)

Edited by AKATV
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, AKATV said:

The last 2 450ES/S machines i worked on that had a no spark condition were bad voltage regulators

-Its the first thing that I check now (after kill switch lol)

I prefer to replace several components on the bike before I look down and see the kill switch is in the "OFF" position.

I have too much time on my hands, so that allows me to use some of it foolishly.

• Haha 4

I checked the cdi box. I had 12 volts going ot the box with the kill switch in the middle and the  transmision  in nutral. I checked the pulse at the wire harness going ot hte cdi and had .07 volts. I checked the coil primary volatage coming out of the box and I have 0. This is a new cdi. Not sure if I bought a bad part or if I am missing something. I did check the stator and it reads proper contnuity. Could the regualtor efffect the cdi box? there is on wire going from the stator to the regulator and then branchs off to the cdi. 

I posted 3 posts up that my last two no spark conditions were due to bad voltage regulators (rectifiers)

-AKATV

47 minutes ago, AKATV said:

I posted 3 posts up that my last two no spark conditions were due to bad voltage regulators (rectifiers)

-AKATV

I changed the regulator but still no spark. How does the regulator effect the cdi. If I knew I could probalby check swith my meter. I dont really trust the parts I bought so troubleshooting seem to be the best option rate now.  Can the regulator cause the primary ignition  voltage on the cdi to have 0 voltes?

we traced a wire that energizes the coil. it comes from the voltage regulator

14 hours ago, slf1 said:

we traced a wire that energizes the coil. it comes from the voltage regulator

Thanks. 

On 6/7/2023 at 9:14 AM, slf1 said:

forgot to mention bought new cid box and new key switch. $200.00 later found out it was the regulator.

Im on the same road haha

Found a interesting video on testing the regulator. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzjVDL4ZtlE