wheelsquad

Weird Carb Question

Hey guys

I acquired a 1984 Suzuki LT125 last year for my oldest kid to try, wasn't running at the time, had a local shadetree look at it and he got it going, ran well until we put it away for the winter. Went to run it a few weeks ago, and now it sprays fuel out this hole when running. Also pumps fuel out of the hole as I push and pull on the black knob. Not familiar with this mechanism on a carb. Seems like it could be a primer knob, but why the spewing out the hole? Anyone familiar with these?

IMG_20230611_160934~2.jpg

HI.  I’d say the diaphragm in side that primer has gone bad.  I know Honda charges a arm and leg for an OEM would Suzuki is the same way I am not afraid of aftermarket when it comes to primers.  I have in the past made a plate and blocked off the primer as it is something I don’t use. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fishfiles said:

HI.  I’d say the diaphragm in side that primer has gone bad.  I know Honda charges a arm and leg for an OEM would Suzuki is the same way I am not afraid of aftermarket when it comes to primers.  I have in the past made a plate and blocked off the primer as it is something I don’t use. 

Suzuki are super high in my experience.  My father in law's Arctic Cat 300's were rebadged Suzuki King Quads, and carbs for those were about $500, and that's been 4-5 years ago.

19 minutes ago, wheelsquad said:

Hmmm yeah that seems to be the likely culprit. I'll pull the old one off and my guess is it'll be an old dry cracked diaphragm. New suzuki part doesn't seem to be too much of a gouge at least: https://www.partzilla.com/product/suzuki/13234-18910?ref=9b36355636644e786e3c0d46054a7e84923c26e6, if that is what is needed.

Few years back I went to Honda in Slidell and asked for one and said give me two , one for a spare. He said $200 and some change.   They were $90 each. I got none and ordered aftermarket.  

• Haha 1

Went to take it apart and all 3 screws seemed way too loose. Took it apart anyway and couldn't find any tears or other issues with the diaphragm, so I reassembled and all is good. Wife isn't strong enough to consistently be able to pull start it for my oldest kid, so got someone coming to look at it today, and if it sells will be on the lookout for a kids atv with electric start. Market for them has definitely chilled now thankfully, compared to a year ago when I picked this one up. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wheelsquad said:

Went to take it apart and all 3 screws seemed way too loose. Took it apart anyway and couldn't find any tears or other issues with the diaphragm, so I reassembled and all is good. Wife isn't strong enough to consistently be able to pull start it for my oldest kid, so got someone coming to look at it today, and if it sells will be on the lookout for a kids atv with electric start. Market for them has definitely chilled now thankfully, compared to a year ago when I picked this one up. 

Maybe the looseness of the screws was the problem ? >>>>   I had a crack at the base of the diaphragm before ,  that was very hard to see and the problem lingered , you had to roll the rubber to see it 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Maybe the looseness of the screws was the problem ? >>>>   I had a crack at the base of the diaphragm before ,  that was very hard to see and the problem lingered , you had to roll the rubber to see it 

Yep I definitely think it was just the loose screws causing the leak. Ran great for about an hour after I put it all back together. Which was long enough to sell it off  🕵️‍♂️

• Like 2