Aroch314

2003 Foreman 450 sags and pulls to the right

Hey all! I have a 2003 Honda foreman 450. I picked this up in Jan to use for plowing and it was already sagged in the right and since then I have replaced the shocks, tie rods (the right arm was bent and not installed properly) then it became very hard to turn so I replaced all ball joints as they were bad. After the ball joints it wants to pull to the right hard. I’ve checked they’re installed properly, I’ve pulled the entire front apart many times and inspected the arms for any issues, and I cannot seem to find any problems. Since then I’ve swapped tires and also check the pressures to make sure it’s not something obvious overlooked. This picture was taken yesterday, you can see the right is sagged and the wheel is cambered. The shocks are balanced but I might swap them anyway just to test side to side. I’ve also adjusted the toe and it helped with the pulling but it still will favor that direction. My next step is probably going to replace the wheel bearings but I didn’t know if anyone had any other input I’m missing? This has become my go to quad for trails and work so I’d like to get it fixed. Thanks in advance!IMG_3496.jpeg

Jack the front up and see if you have any play in that right front wheel.  Could be from wheel bearings, but could also be worn bushings on the a-arm.  I recently had a Foreman with shot upper a-arm bushings that pulled bad to the right.  Any play in that wheel will try to make it pull to the right.

Also, check your swingarm bearings.  I've had a floppy swingarm bearing in the back cause a wheeler to pull to the right as well.

• Like 1

Does anyone know why a brand new 2024 rubicon with 200 miles pulls to the right? All tire pressures are equal. If you steer straight you are OFF road/trail. there is no visible damage anywhere. Dealer said must have been the air cargo, because dealer rode around the parking lot and said it did not pull. Checked for damage upon receipt. none. 

17 minutes ago, steven said:

Does anyone know why a brand new 2024 rubicon with 200 miles pulls to the right? All tire pressures are equal. If you steer straight you are OFF road/trail. there is no visible damage anywhere. Dealer said must have been the air cargo, because dealer rode around the parking lot and said it did not pull. Checked for damage upon receipt. none. 

Welcome to the forum.  Have you checked alignment?  Honda usually toes them out a bit from the factory/dealership, as it makes them more stable.

Alignment

Get handlebars straight, and ratchet strap them in place (ratchet strap to back rack, one on either side, so that they handlebars are fixed and stable and centered)

Tie fishing line to rear ball/hitch, and walk around one side of the wheeler, and leave fishing pole (or other end of line) out in front of the wheeler (centered) about 6-8 feet in front of the machine. 

You want the fishing line touching the front and rear wheel on that side at 3 and 9 oclock.  Rear wheel line should be touching sidewall at both 3 and 9 oclock.  Front tire, if the tire is toed out, line will be touching tire on the front, but not touching the rear sidewall.  To point tire straight ahead, loosen the 2 19mm locknuts on either end of the tie rod, and then put a 10mm open end wrench on the flat on the tie rod and rotate till the line is touching the tire front and back at 3 and 9 oclock.

Run the fishing line up the other side and repeat. 

If you have the line touching the front tires at 3 and 9 oclock on both front wheels, it's perfectly aligned.  I toe mine out just a hair, but just barely.  Some of Honda's alignments are just terrible, like this 2014 Rubicon I worked on last week.

Keep in mind two of the locknuts on the tie rod are reverse thread, and two are regular thread, depending on which one you're looking at.

F965F3C9-4604-44A8-8B3B-B7BCF715D553.jpeg

CA3AAEA2-842E-42F0-80B1-6CF9D99C9C16.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks. I started to do that but thought i'd ask someone first as this is my first Honda and I did not want to maybe void warranty or something. I thought it might have had something to do with the Power steering. I live 546 air miles from Anchorage and it cost $1450 to fly back to dealer so,  I am really glad to have found this forum. 

39 minutes ago, steven said:

Thanks. I started to do that but thought i'd ask someone first as this is my first Honda and I did not want to maybe void warranty or something. I thought it might have had something to do with the Power steering. I live 546 air miles from Anchorage and it cost $1450 to fly back to dealer so,  I am really glad to have found this forum. 

I was going to suggest you take it back to the dealer and ask them to align it, but yeah, do it yourself.

Have any pics of the wheeler from the front?  Should be easy to tell if it's toed out on one side.

On August 22, 2023 at 12:27 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Honda usually toes them out a bit from the factory/dealership, as it makes them more stable.

Yup... We did that to Hondas that came in for front end work @ LJ's we would stand the bikes on the rear... LJ would just eyeball it being he's been working on them for many many years.. 

• Like 1