Rebel

2002 Rancher 350 ES no shift

Here’s a few pictures of my harness it should look just like yours
If you look on the small right side connector in the bottom picture, you’ll see a green wire, a black brown wire and a red wire. Those are the ground and two power wires that I was talking about

You can also see them in the lower gray plug pictures that I sent

The green wire is ground

The one on the top right is the brown black which is a power wire and then you can see the red wire down inside, which is the second power wire. Sometimes the red wire has a brown or black tracer on it but it’s the only all red wire

let me know what you find

IMG_1677.jpeg

IMG_1676.jpeg

IMG_1675.jpeg

Edited by AKATV

Yes, I'm working on new pics. Bare with me....   I can't see the last pics you sent.

Look at my previous pictures of my plugs and you should be able to match yours up. You can clearly see the black wire with the brown tracer, the green wire, and the red which is in the middle of the plug

also, you’re showing the harness side you need to be looking at the speedometer plug side

Edited by AKATV

Yes, I'm working on new pics. Bare with me....   I can't see the last pics you sent.

20230813_142954[1].jpg

20230813_142951[1].jpg

Where is that small rectangular plug with the black, red and green wire that you show in your pics.  I don't have a small rectangular plug like that, or if I do, I'm looking in the wrong place.

The small plug that I was showing use behind the circuit card inside of the speedometer. It’s easier to check on the top side that way.
But the wires that you’re showing me inside the harness,m clearly show your red power wire, your black wire with the brown tracer and the green.

Those are the ones you need to be checking for power with the key on

Edited by AKATV

I shall return shortly.  Have to run up to AutoZone to get a new volt meter.  This one is acting up.  Yes key is on.  I think it is my volt meter.  I'll be back.

Make sure you’re checking it on the harness side first before you’re checking it on the speedometer plug side. 
you want to separate your speedometer plug and check tas well to make sure they don’t have burned pins in them

Back again.  11.77 on black. 0 on red.  I had it wrong the first time.  Checked it twice with new volt meter.

I think I've got 11.7 volts on red and black on harness side.  It's really hard to see up under there.  I probably need to take all the plastics off again to be sure.  Should it be volts on red and black?

You should have voltage on the red and the

black/brown on the harness side. If you don’t have it on the speedometer side, you need to check the pins in between the two plugs.

Edited by AKATV

So you have battery voltage on the red wire on the speedometer side of the plug, not just the harness?

I would remove the top cover of your speedometer, and make sure that you have voltages up top at the speedometer circuit card, and if you do, then I would say most likely then you have a defective circuit card.
If you have opened your speedometer case already there’s a high possibility that you could also have water damage or some other issue going on with the speedometer’s circuit card

Edited by AKATV

With that being said, if you put the original ECU in

and your speedometer powers up like normal then it’s obviously rerouting the wiring somehow

But your speedometer should be able to power up as I do it on the bench all the time, just by putting negative on the green ground wire and positive on the red/black and the  black/ brown wires

Edited by AKATV

Well, I took the cover off the speedometer and I do have voltage up there so it looks like I'll be searching for another dash.  It does look like it has had water in it before.  Thank you for all the help and advice and being patient with me diagnosing this problem.  I am electrical illiterate but learning more as I go.  Once again, thank you all and I will bookmark this site for future reference,