NB Floyd

Rear brakes - foreman es

I cleaned and adjusted my rear brakes about 2 weeks ago.  

Now the cam / brake lever is frequently binding and not wanting to release back without a little bumping on the brake handle or cam lever itself. 

Any trick to these drum brakes ? I have lubed the cable and that seems to move freely.  

the cable adjustment screws are set about midway tight.  

the foot brake seems to work better and return to un-brake position easier.   

any tips would be appreciated.  

thanks.  
NBF

Did you remove the brake cam lever from the brake backing plate and buffed the shaft and the bore  and applied some grease to the shaft ? 

Yes I did.  Really tried to clean up shaft and the bore and greased.  It was moving freely when I reassembled it.    

I did have some trouble lining the lever on the cam so the cam would lay flat.   

The cam inside the brake drum is slightly off level maybe by 1/8”

So I was dealing with the same issue on the Rubicon I've been working on.  That cam isn't really designed to move much, so if the pads are worn, OR the drum is worn, the cam has to rotate further than it should and things don't tend to work great.

I just slapped a new cheap set of aftermarket pads on this one and the rear brakes feel great now.  I doubt they'll last long, but the fit was great, and if they work well for even a short while I'll know the rest is good and it's worth buying a good set of EBC or OEM brake shoes.  

If it rebounds better with foot brake lever it may be the hand lever cable binding up?