MaggieBlu

No reverse and now it won't start

I have all forward gears or at least I had, Now the bugger will not start at all.  What could be the issue, I checked the solenoid and I have power to it , brand new battery. check some wires and repaired them. I need more ideas Please help

16 minutes ago, MaggieBlu said:

I have all forward gears or at least I had, Now the bugger will not start at all.  What could be the issue, I checked the solenoid and I have power to it , brand new battery. check some wires and repaired them. I need more ideas Please help

how about you telling us what year/make/model you are having issues with first ?, then we can help you.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MaggieBlu said:

check some wires and repaired them.

What sort of damage did you find with your wiring harness? Has your Foreman been in deep water? Does the neutral light come on?

When I purchased this machine it appeared to have been run thru the mud pretty good . Every thing was caked with mud, I cleaned it as best I could and there is still a lot of this dang clay soil on it .. But I picked up some wire cleaner and pulled some of the connections apart and cleaned them with the cleaner. That is when every thing started to work great, its been almost a year. I have not been riding it as much as I did at first because I had much to do . Just they other day I started to ride it again and that is when the problems started . But all lights are coming on and New Battery just before all this started.

When you pulled them electrical plugs apart , was there any visible corrosion ?  And did you put some dielectric grease inside the plugs on the terminals ? If everything was OK for a while after you did the connectors last time as you said , then I might try that procedure again and this time use the grease if you didn't last time 

Yeah you'll probably need to use dielectric grease inside every electrical connector pair. Open the connectors and wet the terminals and the waterproofing seals in every plug you can get to with dielectric grease, to seal out oxygen and moisture and prevent corrosion of the terminals. You can get dielectric grease at most auto parts stores. Let us know how it's going....

13 hours ago, MaggieBlu said:

But I picked up some wire cleaner and pulled some of the connections apart and cleaned them with the cleaner. That is when every thing started to work great, its been almost a year. 

When the wiring harness connectors are pulled apart , not only should they be checked for corrosion --- but also check  for the terminal inside the plug end having come unlogded  and having slide back in the connector plug  and then not making contact , those terminal end lock into the plugs with a tang , usually you have to use a pick or paper clip to unload the tang , but they  can get damaged  -- seen that happen  recently , where the terminal was barely sticking out on the inside the plug ,  likely  caused by the wires having been pulled before to get the plug apart ---- I have also got lucky to find wire damage when pulling on the wires as the outer rubber coating  would stretch as the inner wire had corroded away 

• Like 1

Wow I hope the wiring isn't that bad, Those plugs are a real pain , I have a hard time getting them to come apart. Is there a way to test the starter before I think about buying a new one?  

Test the starter relay (solenoid) first after checking all of the fuses.

starter-relay.png

You can jump across the two largest terminals on the starter solenoid to manually test the starter motor. Sparks will fly when you short across those terminals though... so wear eye protection and do it outdoors where nothing flammable can catch fire.

• Like 2