waterworld

Fixed-2000 Honda 300 Fourtrax 4x4 - New Battery But not getting Power

Update:  Fixed

Apparently we forgot to attached one of the wires to the battery.  

My teenage son has added a winch and a light bar directly to the battery with inline fuses.

The nest of wires confused my father and I.  

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We have a 2000 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 (TRX300FW) that isn't getting electrical power. 

-The previous lithium battery wouldn't hold a charge and was replaced with a lead acid battery. 

-The new battery is showing about 12.8 volts. 

-For some reason, it is not getting any power with the new battery. 

-We checked both 15amp fuses in the rubber botts in the battery compartment and they were both fine. 

-The machine is in neutral and doesn't reflect any indicator lights (green neutral or red oil pressure).

-We did not try to kick start it but plan to do so next time we are back where the quad is located.  

I welcome your thoughts and ideas on what may be wrong.

Thanks.

Edited by waterworld
updated status

No rodent chewed wires ? (I wouldn't think so being it's a 00)  I don't have any dealings at all with a lithium battery of that size.... 

15 hours ago, waterworld said:

We have a 2000 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4 (TRX300FW) that isn't getting electrical power. 

-The previous lithium battery wouldn't hold a charge and was replaced with a lead acid battery. 

-The new battery is showing about 12.8 volts. 

-For some reason, it is not getting any power with the new battery. 

-We checked both 15amp fuses in the rubber botts in the battery compartment and they were both fine. 

-The machine is in neutral and doesn't reflect any indicator lights (green neutral or red oil pressure).

-We did not try to kick start it but plan to do so next time we are back where the quad is located.  

I welcome your thoughts and ideas on what may be wrong.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum !

Seen a few times now , people have changed batteries and reinstalled  the  battery wires in the wrong place <<<< have a  look at the solenoid connection  or that the battery has the positive on the same side as your old battery 

My first guess would be the atv’s wire going from positive to the harness is on the wrong side the solenoid.

8 hours ago, _Wilson_™ said:

No rodent chewed wires ? (I wouldn't think so being it's a 00)  I don't have any dealings at all with a lithium battery of that size.... 

Trying to understand this ^^^^^^ comment >>> Good thought about rodent damaged wires  —-  So you don't think a 2000 model wouldn't have " rodent "  chewed  wires , what's the reasoning ? 

Maybe your onto something , you never know . I had heard a  couple of theories why rats , mice and squirrels like to eat wires. Read one that said  the wire coating that comes from overseas is made of some kind of plant base stuff  like soy. >>>>> Maybe they quit using soy base coated wires in 2000 ?   I would say a rat would chew a 2023 just as quick as a 2000 or a 1970 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

Trying to understand this ^^^^^^ comment >>> Good thought about rodent damaged wires  —-  So you don't think a 2000 model wouldn't have " rodent "  chewed  wires , what's the reasoning ? 

Maybe your onto something , you never know . I had heard a  couple of theories why rats , mice and squirrels like to eat wires. Read one that said  the wire coating that comes from overseas is made of some kind of plant base stuff  like soy. >>>>> Maybe they quit using soy base coated wires in 2000 ?   I would say a rat would chew a 2023 just as quick as a 2000 or a 1970 

Probably thinking that newer stuff is more likely to get eaten since they’ve switched to plant based coatings.

Or maybe that it’s too new to already have been eaten.  After all, 2000 was just a couple of years ago, right?  

Drives my wife crazy when I say “a couple of years ago” and it’s really like 12-15 years ago, because it doesn’t SEEM that long ago

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/12/2023 at 4:19 PM, waterworld said:

Update:  Fixed

Apparently we forgot to attached one of the wires to the battery.  

My teenage son has added a winch and a light bar directly to the battery with inline fuses.

The nest of wires confused my father and I.

Congrats! Thanks for letting us know that you fixed it!

On 10/13/2023 at 4:06 AM, Fishfiles said:

Yeah.... like jeep said... I'm not too good with years....ha! I still think cars made in 00 are considered new.....(no telling how many times I've heard certain people >> shade for example << tell me get with the times..... haha! ) .although... in my opinion... they might be old but much better then what's coming out now...I bet those electric cars will targeted by rodents.... and I'd hate dealing with that kind of mess....just had another member say in chat his gas powered vehicle has become a target...for those bucktooth bandits... 

On 10/13/2023 at 11:24 PM, retro said:

Congrats! Thanks for letting us know that you fixed it!

The post where it got fixed doesn’t appear to show up on the thread that is on my screen.  Where did you see he got it fixed ? 

20 hours ago, Fishfiles said:

The post where it got fixed doesn’t appear to show up on the thread that is on my screen.  Where did you see he got it fixed ? 

The OP updated a prior post rather than update us in a new post. Sneaky one that waterworld fellah....

• Like 1

Just now, retro said:

The OP updated a prior post rather than update us in a new post. Sneaky one that waterworld fellah....

Ok , W'W' snuck that one by me also 

• Like 1