Rolandtd

Lost neutral and surge idle

Hey everyone after dealing with a whole teardown on a 2016 rancher es I got everything back together and I don't have neutral. The display shows neutral but if I start it it tries to take off. Can shift all the way to 5th but couldn't shift down which I believe the downshift issue was the gears on the es motor since I could shift down by the emergency shifter and the triangle gear wasn't in the slot properly It also has a surge idle kinda like a cammed out car. Which sounds wicked but without neutral kinda hard to work with. Since it was late when I got it all back together I haven't done much besides check iacv. I plan on checking and cleaning angle sensor and reassembling the shift motor to check if it'll downshift by that. Any ideas or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Rolandtd

Upon working on it today I learned I also can't shift into reverse and it did not like 2nd at all wouldn't move. I've cleaned iacv and shift sensor. Possibly internal?  I was certain I had all the shift forks lined up on the drum. 

Edited by Rolandtd

Hmmmm.  Sounds like something is definitely wonkey.  So no reverse, 2nd feels like neutral, and when showing neutral it is in some unknown gear? 

Did you possibly get the gear position switch off?  I think were that the case you'd be seeing 4th gear when it's in Neutral, not second.

I thought I had It lined up. I'm about to pull the engine back out now. Yeah no reverse second gear isn't neutral but it won't move at all all and neutral I believe is first 

gonna lay out some posb issues: as jeep said ^^..gear postition switch not installed correctly on rear engine case ?. shift forks not installed correctly on shift drum ?. tranny gear/gears installed backwards ?. angle sensor installed wrong ?. change clutch installed wrong ?. any one of these will cause your issues. if you broke the engine all the way down ?, then i hate to say this, but chances are, you put your tranny together the wrong way, and the only way to inspect this..sad..but yes..you must rip that engine all back apart, and go through it..and see with your own eyes what is wrong ?. i know this is not what you wanted to read ?..but..truth is..its the only true way you will locate these problems. all it takes is one gear installed backwards ?, a shift fork not right on the shift drum ?, gear position switch not installed right ?..and you can have any or all of these issues you are having.

I tore it down yesterday found the center shift fork came off the drum. Gonna go put it all back together once it warms up here soon. The idle issue hopefully goes away too but I'll see soon enough. Thanks for the tips guys.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rolandtd said:

I tore it down yesterday found the center shift fork came off the drum. Gonna go put it all back together once it warms up here soon. The idle issue hopefully goes away too but I'll see soon enough. Thanks for the tips guys.

i sure hope you checked, and double checked to make sure everything was correct before you buttoned it all back up ?..its gonna suck if you have to tear it all back down again !..lol

I did triple check this time. Even took cover back off to see if the shift sensor is in the proper position. I gotta finish setting it all back up i did not run it.I do need to check the cable for the reverse cause it shifted into reverse without it. Battery was low so once it's charged up hopefully see what I did right or wrong.

12 minutes ago, Rolandtd said:

I did triple check this time. Even took cover back off to see if the shift sensor is in the proper position. I gotta finish setting it all back up i did not run it.I do need to check the cable for the reverse cause it shifted into reverse without it. Battery was low so once it's charged up hopefully see what I did right or wrong.

you either got the reverse cable installed wrong ?, or just need to adjust the reverse cable at the bars. hopefully you got the reverse bracket ( that sits inside the rear case, into the shift drum slot ) the correct way in the shift drum ?.

29 minutes ago, Rolandtd said:

Hopefully needs adjusting. The release bracket should be ok Ive never took it off and it worked before. 

cool..then its just a matter of adjusting at the bars. will take a couple 10mm wrenches..easy fix.

Yup. I finally got around to working on it and now the fuel injector isn't working. If it's in between gears will it cause it not to work? Seems odd to me considering it ran before.

1 hour ago, Rolandtd said:

Yup. I finally got around to working on it and now the fuel injector isn't working. If it's in between gears will it cause it not to work? Seems odd to me considering it ran before.

chances are...if the dash is not showing a neutral light ?, then yes...the fuel system will not work.

got it to run and sounded fine. unfortunately had to pull it out again cause the shift drum will not line up to the neutral marks on the case. bright side i can break these things down now real fast just gotta work on getting the trans right.

Edited by Rolandtd

16 hours ago, Rolandtd said:

Got it broke down again and I'm not seeing where I went wrong. Maybe placement of shift drum?

20231117_223803.jpg

20231117_223743.jpg

20231117_223743.jpg

20231117_223910.jpg

a couple tips : MAKE SURE YOUR SHIFT FORKS ARE FACING THE CORRECT WAY WHEN INSTALLED ?. each shift fork has a letter stamped on it, bottom to top: RR, C, FF. meaning, the bottom shift fork will be the rear, c is for center, f is for front/.forward. each shift fork MUST have these letters facing up as you place them in the shift drum !. second tip: when placing shift drum into bottom case, its a good idea to have each grooves end line up from top to bottom, this is the stop end for each shift fork. it does not matter where you have the shift drum sitting once you place the shift forks in the case, and go to install the shift forks ?, but it does make it alot easier to line the shift forks up while placing the forks into the gears slots/grooves when doing so.

if you are in the states ?, send me a pm with yer cell #, i'd like to ask and go over a few things with this tear down. DO NOT POST CELL NUMBER OUT IN OPEN !.

I believe I got it right this time. I lined it all up found reverse and went from there. Was able to go through all shift points by turning the drum and its set back to neutral position. I'll shoot you a pm real quick shadetree

16 hours ago, Rolandtd said:

Got it broke down again and I'm not seeing where I went wrong. Maybe placement of shift drum?

20231117_223803.jpg

20231117_223743.jpg

20231117_223743.jpg

20231117_223910.jpg

top pic, i'm looking at the shift fork, and the gears the way they are lining up, something is off, its like the shift fork in installed upside down ?, the reason i say this is, because the gear teeth are not lining up, nor are they sitting even across the gears ?. makes me think the top shift fork is installed upside down ?.

ok..i looked at the micro fish...going by it, you have the shift forks installed right.

Ite been a while had a whole bunch of stuff come up but I finally got around to getting it back together. It's shifting now all I gotta figure out is the idle. Thanks so much for the help and happy new years everyone.

• Thanks 1

Glad you got it back together...on the next teardown take lot of photos while you're taking it apart....have a great day...derf