MaggieBlu

Repair person wanted

I give up ! I have tried to get into the area where my starter is and I just can't get anything to cooperate with me.I did watch a video and it was a different machine so I couldn't make it work for me. Everywhere I turned to make this work I was blocked by something.  So I am looking for a reliable , honest, and as close to me as I can get,, Honda repair person.I don't want to go to a dealership  you know how pricey they can be. I am on Bon Air Mt/ Sparta. I can trailer it or you can come to me , I have a garage to work in . I don't have a lot of money so kindness is appreciated, I have sheep so a deal there could be made there. Machine is a 2014 Honda Foreman es   - 500 I believe   Thanks  

Edited by MaggieBlu
additional information

43 minutes ago, MaggieBlu said:

I give up ! I have tried to get into the area where my starter is and I just can't get anything to cooperate with me.I did watch a video and it was a different machine so I couldn't make it work for me. Everywhere I turned to make this work I was blocked by something.  So I am looking for a reliable , honest, and as close to me as I can get,, Honda repair person.I don't want to go to a dealership  you know how pricey they can be. I am on Bon Air Mt/ Sparta. I can trailer it or you can come to me , I have a garage to work in . I don't have a lot of money so kindness is appreciated, I have sheep so a deal there could be made there. Machine is a 2014 Honda Foreman es   - 500 I believe   Thanks  

can ya give us an idea what you are trying to get too..fix ?. with it being deer season down here in arkansas, it leaves me no time to make a road trip..lol. it will be a couple weeks b4 i am back. i am sure someone that hangs around here would be more than glad to lend a few kind words to help you get your issue fixed.

• Like 1

I'm sorry , I should have said the "starter" I think is bad. The way they have this thing it is almost impossible to get at without taking the whole dang thing apart! At least that is what I think the problem is anyway.  It all started with the battery dying , replaced the battery, then it decided not to switch to reverse and that was fine for the time being. Then it just will not start period,, Has power to solenoid it clicks and has power going to it . that is as far as I got because I can't get to it to even test it.  I understand Deer season and I am not in a real hurry , I know all about it , I am a hunter/ trapper myself LOL 

1 hour ago, MaggieBlu said:

I'm sorry , I should have said the "starter" I think is bad. The way they have this thing it is almost impossible to get at without taking the whole dang thing apart! At least that is what I think the problem is anyway.  It all started with the battery dying , replaced the battery, then it decided not to switch to reverse and that was fine for the time being. Then it just will not start period,, Has power to solenoid it clicks and has power going to it . that is as far as I got because I can't get to it to even test it.  I understand Deer season and I am not in a real hurry , I know all about it , I am a hunter/ trapper myself LOL 

if you remove the air box ?, this will give you plenty of room to get at the starter from the top, back end.

• Like 2

Shade has it, remove the air box and then it's just a couple bolts and a nut.

• Like 1

That is the problem  I can not get the air box out because of how it sits in the frame, Hard to explain , I will have to go down to the garage an take photos. If I could get the air box out it would have been done by now

Edited by MaggieBlu

you can see the photos that show what I am talking about , the red ear is attached to the whole back fender assembly.  The black ears over the frame is part of the air box. So with out taking the whole fenders off I can not get the air box out and there is no give with out breaking something    

fourwheeler3.jpg

Fourwheeler1.jpg

Besides taking the whole assembly for the rear covers is there any other option? I don't think so but I am open for suggestions, I tried to get a wrench on the bolt holding the starter and there is just not enough room.

The fender and air box will flex enough to get one side out then then the other. You can take the fender loose from the floorboard and brace and it will let it flex out even more.

• Like 1

Starter removal:

starter-removal.png

Once you get the starter out let is know so we can advise how to test it, or repair it if necessary.

Talked to a repair place to check prices on a new one and they want over 500  that is just stupid, Amazon has them for under 50 but the trouble with that is if it is the wrong one i have to play games getting it replaced. Now what?? 

Amazon/eBay parts are junk and do not work on Honda ATVs. Genuine Honda parts are necessary when replacing parts.

First thing you need to do is test your starter though, before buying a replacement. You'll need a set of ordinary jumper cables.... and a known good 12 volt battery. You can use the battery that is in your Honda if it is fully charged, or a car/truck battery.

To test the starter with jumper cables, clamp the Positive (red) jumper cable clamp onto the Positive (red) post of a known good battery. Clamp the other Positive (red) cable clamp onto the Positive post (where you removed the red cable from the starter, it is a threaded stud with a nut) of the starter motor. Be careful that you clamp the Positive (red) clamp onto the stud & nut post only, do not allow any part of the clamp to touch the starter body.

Then clamp the Negative (black) cable clamp to your known good battery. You now have both the Positive and the Negative jumper cables attached to your battery, and you have the other Positive cable clamp attached to the starter motor positive post. One Negative (black) cable clamp remains unattached.

Finally, while holding onto the starter motor tightly, touch the remaining Negative (black) cable clamp onto the metal body of the starter motor. If the starter is a good one the motor will twist/jump sharply in your grip and immediately spin at a high speed. If the starter motor is failing or has failed, it either will refuse to run or it will run very slowly. A good starter motor is robust and powerful, it will attempt to twist out of your hand when testing.

If your starter motor fails the test, provide the model of your Honda here in this thread so we can help you locate a replacement.

model.png

Let us know how it goes....

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MaggieBlu said:

Talked to a repair place to check prices on a new one and they want over 500  that is just stupid, Amazon has them for under 50 but the trouble with that is if it is the wrong one i have to play games getting it replaced. Now what?? 

$271 and some change from rocky mountain atv. I bet they looked it up for a Rubicon (FA) because they retail for around that $470. The starters are different for the Foreman.

If you want to go aftermarket I have had good luck with DB electrical starters ($65).

Most of the time the internal magnets break on these style of starters and you'll know that by just turning the shaft. It will be very hard to turn (will almost need pliers to turn it).

i second d&b electrical ^^^, i use them all the time..very good starters, very decent price and warranty.

starter is frozen, I ordered from a dealer  after market they wanted 500 an change for the regular one , I asked if it had gold accents for that price LOL  any way waiting on the replacement . I just hope I can remember how to get it back together. I figured if I ordered locally I can take it back an stuff it up their butt if it doesn't work. I will test before I reassemble of course.

11 hours ago, MaggieBlu said:

starter is frozen, I ordered from a dealer  after market they wanted 500 an change for the regular one , I asked if it had gold accents for that price LOL  any way waiting on the replacement . I just hope I can remember how to get it back together. I figured if I ordered locally I can take it back an stuff it up their butt if it doesn't work. I will test before I reassemble of course.

you could have went to D&B electrical and got a great starter for 1/3 the cost..but oh well..your money..lol.

Oh I am sure , but at least this way if I have a problem its not far for me to go, than you for the suggestion anyway, I do appreciate it.

• Like 1

UPDATE   well I guess I am pretty proud of myself right now , with a lot of b--chen an swearing I got it in and it even works, put the air box in and everything is back together I think except the back rail and all the bolts that hold that down, I want to finish painting it before i reinstall it. I ran out of paint. The battery seems to be down , don't know why its been disconnected so I put it on the trickle charge for the night. We shall see what happens tomorrow . When I am ready I need to tackle that reverse issue. 

Thank you for your moral support.

41 minutes ago, MaggieBlu said:

UPDATE   well I guess I am pretty proud of myself right now , with a lot of b--chen an swearing I got it in and it even works, put the air box in and everything is back together I think except the back rail and all the bolts that hold that down, I want to finish painting it before i reinstall it. I ran out of paint. The battery seems to be down , don't know why its been disconnected so I put it on the trickle charge for the night. We shall see what happens tomorrow . When I am ready I need to tackle that reverse issue. 

Thank you for your moral support.

keep us updated !.