deku187

Deku

Purchased a 1998 honda forman 400 this summer have fixed it from ground up only thing left to do is the speedometer it's analog is broke looking to repair or if it's just easier to buy and put a digital one on that would be fun and cool anyone do that here?

20231224_181425.jpg

Welcome to the forum

I don't believe you can add a digital display to an older 400.   Have you dug into your existing speedometer to see what the problem might be?

Darn would be cool if I could it's a bunch of burnt up resistor I'd like to fix it but alot of places keep telling me they can't help me they say there throw away when there done but a old one cost like 400 brand new is like 500 or more so I'd like to repair it in still waiting on a few places to contact me but not looking good so far 

20231224_181500.jpg

That should be all mechanical.  The burnt diodes are probably for a voltage drop for a 5V back light.

You could probably wire an LED strip to light it up with.

1 minute ago, deku187 said:

Both back bulbs work

What's broken with it?

1 minute ago, deku187 said:

Hours miles abd speed not working

Is the cable moving when the wheels are? Check cable ends and if it turns properly with both ends unplugged.  Then check if the sender spins in the engine.

That diode isent on the hour meter board the hour meter board has 4 burnt diodes on it the 1 I sent a pic has about 4 on it as well and that board is to the Miles and speed gauge

I'm not familiar with the Honda 400 analog gauges, but the TRX300 speedo, and most older car/truck speedos were cable driven.  You can spin the engine drive end of the cable and the needle should move.  Is there a cable going from the gauge to the drivetrain somewhere?

Doubtful, given that the wiring harnesses, computer, etc are all differently.  Maybe if you swapped an entire 450FM wiring harness over to your 400 you could use the 450 meter then, obviously.

@AKATV, you have any ideas on the 400 meters?  Have you ever looked at the innards on one?

The Foreman 400 is an analog/electro-mechanical one of a kind speedometer for sure, it really only has power inputs for the hour meter,/speedometer and a speed sensor input

Extremely hard to work on, as you have to disassemble the mechanical meter/ face-plate and most people damage the needle/spring assembly when taking it apart

Most I have seen are water damaged, with that being said I think you MIGHT be able to use an aftermarket type speedometer as long as it has a calibration feature for speed in order to match up with the speed sensor on the machine

-AKATV

• Like 1

I know a few people that I’ve had good luck with trailtech on other machines- you would just have to look to see if it has a calibration feature

Another option is having a Phone mount for your iPhone or similar,as there are a lot of GPS and speedometer apps out there for your phone as well

-AKATV

On 12/28/2023 at 4:35 PM, AKATV said:

I know a few people that I’ve had good luck with trailtech on other machines- you would just have to look to see if it has a calibration feature

Another option is having a Phone mount for your iPhone or similar,as there are a lot of GPS and speedometer apps out there for your phone as well

-AKATV

AKATV

I have a 2001 Honda Forman 450ES.

The combination display works on and off. Are you able to work on these?

It seems as if when it jiggles when riding the display goes out I am not able to see what gear I’m in or any of the other features on the display

Posted (edited)

Sounds like you have a loose connection or a fractured cold solder joint 

Can you replicate making it turn on and off? 

Usually if it’s a loose connection or a fractured solder joint, you can thump one of the handlebar grips pretty good with with a rubber hammer or your fist to simulate riding vibration trail, bumps, etc. and it will turn on and off that way

If not, you also might have a corroded or burnt pin down on the lower speedometer harness from water, and or corrosion

I will send my contact information to your message box as well if you’d like to look into a repair

-AKATV

Edited by AKATV