ChrisX

TRX500FA Hondamatic assembly

Posted (edited)

Hi

I'm trying to assemble TRX500FA hondamatic form the pieces gaven to me by my friend.

Could you tell me please what should be correct orientation of pin heads (distributor valves) inserted into hondamatic rotor shaft?

See pictures below. While refering to the rotor position, assume that hondamatic pump section is on the left side of the picture and subtransmission on the right side.

Should be U shape washers (the ones which are on the top of each pin) oriented rounded side up or down ?

Any picture will help !

I appreciate your help

20240106_215555a.jpg

20240106_215600a.jpg

Edited by ChrisX
typo

Hi, Chris saw you pop in chat last night, be sure to come back by try around 7 pm cdt ... although there is NO set time, and we are trying to get people in at defrent times...and @Brian Bertram i believe knows about those...hondamatics,  i believe ive seen @jeepwm69 mention him to others ?

Welcome aboard. 

The man to talk to is Brian Bertram, and while he is a member here, he's not on here often.   His contact info can be found in this thread.  He does respond to emails, so try that route.

Would you mind doing a thread showing what you end up doing as you go?   I have always been a footshift guy, but delved into the Hondamatics a couple of years ago.  Last year I rebuilt a 2012 Rubicon and did not tear the Hondamatic itself down.  Once I got the engine back together I found that once the machine got good and hot the Hondamatic would slip.   Brain said it could be scored bores/ pistons in the Hondamatic, or trash in the pump blocking oil flow, so gotta tear it back down.  

I currently have an 04 engine torn down on my bench.  It was locked up when I got it, and ended up being a stator bolt that had backed out and locked up the flywheel.   Plan is to clean it out well and reassemble with new timing/ oil pump chains, top end, and seals.

But I will have to tear that 2012 engine back down and will have to tear that Hondamatic itself down, and while I know a bit about them, I haven't torn a Hondamatic transmission unit down yet. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Witamy na pokładzie. 

Człowiekiem, z którym można porozmawiać, jest Brian Bertram i chociaż jest tutaj członkiem, nie bywa tu często. Jego dane kontaktowe znajdziesz w tym wątku. Odpowiada na e-maile, więc wypróbuj tę drogę.

Czy mógłbyś założyć wątek pokazujący, co ostatecznie robisz? Zawsze lubiłem zmiany biegów, ale kilka lat temu zagłębiłem się w Hondamatics. W zeszłym roku odbudowałem Rubicon z 2012 roku i nie rozbiłem samego Hondamatic. Po złożeniu silnika stwierdziłem, że gdy maszyna się rozgrzeje i nagrzeje, Hondamatic zacznie się ślizgać. Brain powiedział, że mogą to być dziury/tłoki w Hondamatic lub śmieci w pompie blokujące przepływ oleju, więc muszę go rozebrać.  

Obecnie na ławce mam rozebrany silnik 04. Kiedy go dostałem, był zamknięty i skończyło się na śrubie stojana, która cofnęła się i zablokowała koło zamachowe. Plan jest taki, aby go dobrze wyczyścić i ponownie złożyć z nowymi łańcuchami rozrządu/pompy olejowej, górnym końcem i uszczelkami.

Ale będę musiał rozebrać silnik z 2012 roku i sam Hondamatic, a choć trochę o nich wiem, nie rozbierałem jeszcze skrzyni biegów Hondamatic. 

Sure

I'm planning to make picture documentation for my reference.

It will be shared once i get any success in my project.

Edited by ChrisX
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, ChrisX said:

Sure

I'm planning to make picture documentation for my reference.

It will be shared once i get any success in my project.

Awesome!  Thank you!

Brian is by far the foremost expert I've run across on the Hondamatics.  He's very personable and I talked to him a long time on the phone one night when I emailed him a question that he thought would be easier to explain verbally.

Shoot him an email and keep us posted on how it goes!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I just spoke with Brian.  Apparently my Hondamatic had a differnet history than I was speculating.
Most likely the Pressure Control Valve popped up and damaged the revolvel. Luckily all bearings seem to be ok.
In other words I have to find a donor hondamatic with a good core and then continue assembly.

image.png

image.png

Edited by ChrisX
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, ChrisX said:

I just spoke with Brian.  Apparently my Hondamatic had a differnet history than I was speculating.
Most likely the Pressure Control Valve popped up and damaged the revolvel. Luckily all bearings seem to be ok.
In other words I have to find a donor hondamatic with a good core and then continue assembly.

image.png

image.png

Interesting.  So the chipped away area is the damage?   Where did you get the diagram below your pic?  Since Honda considers the Hondamatic "non-serviceable" there isn't anything in the FSM that I've found on disassembling the Hondamatic itself.  

Check your messages.  Forwarded you a listing from a guy parting out three Rubicon’s

• Like 1