walhonding300

Winch Wiring

I have never installed a winch myself before.  The directions I received are vague.  Do I need to hook the red "key" wire coming from the switch or can I wire the winch up "hot"  so the key does not need to be on?

Ive seen them done both ways. Just as long as its fused.

I'd hook the red wire up to a hot wire they is only hot with key on.   Otherwise, if you get a sticking switch or contactor you might come back to a wheeler with a destroyed winch.   I had one do that several years ago.   Just kept trying to wind in until the battery was dead, and the roller fairlead was destroyed.

What machine are you working on? 

• Like 1

Well odd thing is it's not going on an ATV lol.  I am going to order #2500 for my Honda once I know what I am doing with this one.

I picked up an X Force #3500 Rural King brand up for $75.  They switched to Champion winches so this was sitting on a sale pallet.  It's going on the carry all for my sub compact tractor.  I am trying to keep the wiring as simple as possible because I will be taking it off quite a bit.  I will only be using it when I am dragging firewood logs.

Ah, ok then. 

I would mount the contactor to the tractor and battery, and use something like this for the wiring, put the winch itself on some sort of receiver hitch type mount.

https://www.amazon.com/Bulldog-20018-Quick-Connect-Winches/dp/B000KJ1L18

For a tractor you could tie the red wire for the "key" to a wire that is hot with the tractor running, OR you could run a wire from battery to a toggle switch, and then hook the red wire to the other side of that toggle.  That way you plug winch in with that heavy connector, flip switch, and you're ready to go.  No risk of the contactor going nuts and killing your battery/ burning your tractor down that way.

Thank you.  I am going to order one of those connections.  I do have the winch on a receiver mount.  Only $25 on amazon for one that size.  

As far as the "key" wire is concerned, just to get it straight... 

I could wire the "key" wire directly to the "hot" wire powering the winch from the battery?  The winch will only be hooked up for use and then taken off.

30 minutes ago, walhonding300 said:

Thank you.  I am going to order one of those connections.  I do have the winch on a receiver mount.  Only $25 on amazon for one that size.  

As far as the "key" wire is concerned, just to get it straight... 

I could wire the "key" wire directly to the "hot" wire powering the winch from the battery?  The winch will only be hooked up for use and then taken off.

You could run that wire directly to the positive wire terminal on the contactor.   All you need is 12V, so you could really hook it up anywhere that is a powered wire.

3 point i cant tell what class its prolly the same class as Shades kubota..... nice build... but you could take that power cord and a bigger top link Tube and run the cord inside the top link tube for protection.... just tossing in.... a bit of modding (holes and rubber garments) would need to be done....or are ya talking bout the receiver ?

IMG_8575.PNG

Its just one I bought for $20-30 on amazon.

I like the idea of running the cord through the top link if I leave it on for an extended period of time.  This however will probably be off of the machine more than it is on.