ChrisX

Ultrasonic parts cleaning

Could you please share your experience with ultrasonic ATV engine parts cleaning solution ?

Below are results of my experiments:

- CLR (1:4 ditsilled watter) it works very well for alluminum cleaning from caked dirt and oil. Alluminum parts are failry bright and shiny (spotty sometimes).
Unfortunetelly CLR makes damage to steel parts (bolts, polished surfaces, beraings, shaft ...etc). They bacome dull black, some of them even rust.

- ZEP orange degresser (1:4 ditsilled watter) is not so destructive but makes aluminum dark and doesnt remove everything (caked dirt/oil).

- Diesel fuel bath fairly cleans loose dirt and oil. Very well lubricastes and penetrates the part fr storage (stinks terrible for me)

- Gasoline removes well any grease,drit, oil (sort of like carb cleaner). It doesnt work too effectively against baked oil and dirt. ( stinks, flamable)

Dremel with brass wire brush or very soft steel wire is what brings in my case shine to alluminium parts.
I would be more happy to use entirely chemical process.
Please share your experience.

Edited by ChrisX

I recently bough an ultrasonic cleaner and used it for first time over the weekend.

I was impressed with the results for sure.

This is the cleaner I used.

Northwest Enterprises brand on Amazon.

Ultrasonic cleaner.jpg

Price for 1Gal is quite high IMHO. Is it worth the money?
Do you have any pictures before and after the cleaning ?

Edited by ChrisX

Agreed, price is high but seemed to work very good.

Its concentrated so 1 part cleaner 5 parts water.

I can get some pictures.

My question is, while the stuff is a bit pricey, is that reuseable?   My parts cleaner stuff comes in 5 gal jugs from tractor supply, and I drain the parts cleaner every once and awhile, draining through a coffee filter into a 5 gal bucket, which I then dump back into the parts washer.

• Like 1

It is reusable.

I did the same as you, drained through filter and stored in jug for next time.

I expect to be able to get a few uses out of same batch of solution, not sure how many yet but time will tell.

Ill be cleaning a couple more carbs this weekend and will see how it looks/works going forward.

• Like 1