PeterV

Excited to Join! Need some advice, 1984 TRX200

Hey everyone, thanks for adding me to the group. I'm the new owner of a 1984 Honda TRX 200.

I've been repairing and cleaning it up after it sat in a shed for 10 years. After being taken out of the shed it started on the second pull and runs well.  I had to replace the carburetor and the spark plug, changed out the oil and it seems to run fine for a while, but then it just will not start.  I've been stranded on the ice, ice fishing the last two times I've gone out. It runs just fine getting me out on the ice, but after sitting there for 30-40 minutes it turns over but just doesn't start.  Do I need to look at the CDI box, does anyone have any recommendations on what I should check next. I know it's getting fuel, and I know that it is getting spark.  I'd appreciate any ideas or suggestions.

20240124_142308.jpg

• Like 3

Welcome aboard.   Have you checked the tank to make sure it's venting properly?   Sitting that long you could have gunk in your petcock restricting flow, or a bug nest in your tank vent.

Checked valve clearance? 

Take a can of starter fluid with you and next time it does it, hit it with a shot of starter fluid in the airbox.  If it fires you know you have a fuel delivery problem.  If not, problem is likely electrical.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Welcome aboard.   Have you checked the tank to make sure it's venting properly?   Sitting that long you could have gunk in your petcock restricting flow, or a bug nest in your tank vent.

Checked valve clearance? 

Take a can of starter fluid with you and next time it does it, hit it with a shot of starter fluid in the airbox.  If it fires you know you have a fuel delivery problem.  If not, problem is likely electrical.

Ok, I'll check it.  I did replace the petcock, gas line and fuel filter when I started the restoration.  So those are good to go.  The other night when it wouldn't start, I pulled the gas hose off of the carburator and gas was flowing freely.  

Update: Today I went out and decided to try starting it and it started almost instantly.  I'll try to keep it running to see if I can replicate the issue again.

On 1/29/2024 at 2:23 PM, PeterV said:

I had to replace the carburetor and the spark plug, changed out the oil and it seems to run fine for a while, but then it just will not start.

Did you replace the carb with OEM? Aftermarket (china knockoffs) parts do not work on Honda ATVs.