David1234

Honda Foreman 500 Intermittent Spark problem

Hi all,

I have a Honda Foreman 500 with a spark problem. The engine had no spark and after further investigation I discovered that the Stator had shorted to the engine. So I changed the Stator and ignition pule sensor and now the machine will make an attempt to fire up but will not start. I then changed the voltage rectifier but still the issue remains. Then by accident I discovered that if I unplug the Stator or rectifier the engine starts first tip and runs perfect. I can even plug the stator and rectifier back in while it is running without issue. However if I try and start it again with everything connected it refuses to start. Would anybody have any idea what is causing this issue. I am tempted to run a bypass on the stator to make it start, but would like to know the cause of the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

David

Welcome aboard. 

First question is, what year is the machine?

Second question is, did you use OEM or amazon/ebay chinese parts?

Hi,

I used a Genuine Honda Stator and Honda ignition pulse generator. For the rectifier i changed it with a cheap Chinese one. I thought that the Chinese one might have been the issue so I replaced this with a second hand Honda one from a breaker.

It's a hydrostatic model, year 2010.

Is the battery healthy? Does the starter crank the motor over at normal speed?

What is the full model number and the country (USA, Canada, UK, Australia, Sweden) of origin?

Hi all,

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

I got the problem solved. Upon further investigation of the wiring loom, I discovered that there was no earth cable connecting the engine to the bike frame even though there is one listed on the wiring diagram. I connected a cable between them and the bike started first tip. It appears that there was never a cable on it. Maybe a previous owner removed it during a repair job.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1