MeGoose

Would like some assistance with this issue....

Hi All,

I have a 1998 Honda Foreman 400 foot shift that I recently acquired and it's my first ATV.

The neutral/green light is always on and it starts in gear always.

There seems to be only 1 forward gear, I can't get into neutral, so there is also no reverse.

The previous owner grounded 1 pin inside a 2 pin connector to the right rear wheel well so it will always start in gear. Why? When I reconnected this wire back to normal in its connector, the electric start button would no longer work.

I want to put everything back to normal so I have all the forward gears, neutral and reverse.

I have no further knowledge in what to do and I'm looking for help.

Thanks.

they ground it to start it, as the neutral switch is bad, instead of replacing the switch ?, they took the stupid cheap way out, and grounded the wire to bypass the switch. as for no forward gears ?, this can be a few things, bad transmission ?, bad shift drum ?, clutch not right ?, hard to say. you may have to pull the motor, and split it to see if anything is bad inside the cases ?.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, shadetree said:

they ground it to start it, as the neutral switch is bad, instead of replacing the switch ?, they took the stupid cheap way out, and grounded the wire to bypass the switch. as for no forward gears ?, this can be a few things, bad transmission ?, bad shift drum ?, clutch not right ?, hard to say. you may have to pull the motor, and split it to see if anything is bad inside the cases ?.

Hi

It does start in gear and the neutral green light is always on. There is a forward gear, however no reverse.  Where is the neutral switch? Per the online manual - inside the alternator?

16 minutes ago, MeGoose said:

Hi

It does start in gear and the neutral green light is always on. There is a forward gear, however no reverse.  Where is the neutral switch? Per the online manual - inside the alternator?

as long as its grounded like it is ?..yes the neutral light will always stay lit. yes..the switch is inside the rear engine cover that is over the flywheel, stator.

you are welcome to join the chat room ( top of home page )..we can run it by you in there if ya get stumped ?.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

as long as its grounded like it is ?..yes the neutral light will always stay lit. yes..the switch is inside the rear engine cover that is over the flywheel, stator.

So I should have all forward gears, correct? It should start in any gear?

The neutral mod just bypasses the switch and not allowing it to go into reverse?  because it can't actually get into neutral.....

Are there any cable adjustments to make for reverse? The cable at the bottom of the engine.  How about the clutch adjustment nut on the front?

10 hours ago, MeGoose said:

The neutral mod just bypasses the switch and not allowing it to go into reverse?  because it can't actually get into neutral.....

Are there any cable adjustments to make for reverse? The cable at the bottom of the engine.  How about the clutch adjustment nut on the front?

You should be able to shift gears with the machine off.  If you can’t you probably have problems with the shift linkage under the front engine cover.

Lets look into that first. 

If you’re stuck in gear my guess is it is something similar to this

• Like 1

13 hours ago, MeGoose said:

yes, you should have all forward gears, starting in gear has nothing to do with it starting in gear right now, this starting in gear as it is right now is something stupid folks do to start it in gear. honda makes them  with a neutral switch for safety reason..THEY DO NOT WANT YOU..OR A CHILD ?!..TO START THEM IN GEAR !..this keeps some kid from getting on it, cranking it up, throttle stuck wide open, and they take off !..lol. NO  the neutral switch has nothing to do with why it will not go into reverse !. button on left front brake lever, you have to press it down, pull the brake lever in, then down shift the foot lever with your foot, this puts the atv into reverse. IF !!..the transmission is working right ?!. yes there is a cable adjustment for the reverse cable on left front brake lever, but if you are not pressing the red button, then pulling lever ?,it will not let you shift to reverse.

7 hours ago, shadetree said:

yes, you should have all forward gears, starting in gear has nothing to do with it starting in gear right now, this starting in gear as it is right now is something stupid folks do to start it in gear. honda makes them  with a neutral switch for safety reason..THEY DO NOT WANT YOU..OR A CHILD ?!..TO START THEM IN GEAR !..this keeps some kid from getting on it, cranking it up, throttle stuck wide open, and they take off !..lol. NO  the neutral switch has nothing to do with why it will not go into reverse !. button on left front brake lever, you have to press it down, pull the brake lever in, then down shift the foot lever with your foot, this puts the atv into reverse. IF !!..the transmission is working right ?!. yes there is a cable adjustment for the reverse cable on left front brake lever, but if you are not pressing the red button, then pulling lever ?,it will not let you shift to reverse.

When I push the red button and pull the handlebar lever, down underneath where the end of that cable goes under a yoke to engage the lever, the lever attached to the case only moves about an eighth of an inch.  I can move this lever on the case at least one and a half inches by hand, how much should the cable/lever move when I pull the lever on the handle bar?

The other question I have is, there is a nut/flathead screw adjustment that can be made to adjust the clutch. Do I turn the screw counter clockwise till it stops, then a quarter turn clockwise then set that position with the nut holding the set screw in place till the nut is secure?  What adjustment to the clutch does this make?

19 minutes ago, MeGoose said:

When I push the red button and pull the handlebar lever, down underneath where the end of that cable goes under a yoke to engage the lever, the lever attached to the case only moves about an eighth of an inch.  I can move this lever on the case at least one and a half inches by hand, how much should the cable/lever move when I pull the lever on the handle bar?

The other question I have is, there is a nut/flathead screw adjustment that can be made to adjust the clutch. Do I turn the screw counter clockwise till it stops, then a quarter turn clockwise then set that position with the nut holding the set screw in place till the nut is secure?  What adjustment to the clutch does this make?

the reverse lever at back of motor should move about 1/2-5/8 in order to shift to reverse. you got the right plan on how to adjust the clutch, BUT !!..this has no effect on why it won't shift through all gears !

1 hour ago, shadetree said:

the reverse lever at back of motor should move about 1/2-5/8 in order to shift to reverse. you got the right plan on how to adjust the clutch, BUT !!..this has no effect on why it won't shift through all gears !

Going through youtube videos trying to find similar problems. 

Is this close to what you're taking about?

14 hours ago, MeGoose said:

Going through youtube videos trying to find similar problems. 

Is this close to what you're taking about?

Yep, that's exactly the problem I found on the 500 I linked to above.  I'd check that.  Not a terrible job to look under the front cover since you don't have to pull the engine.

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Yep, that's exactly the problem I found on the 500 I linked to above.  I'd check that.  Not a terrible job to look under the front cover since you don't have to pull the engine.

Maybe not terrible but maybe a bit daunting as I/we are not mechanics. The guy in the video replaced the gasket. Do you know by chance where I can locate one? The other thing is, once it's open, I won't be able to tell if there is anything else broken/not right by looking at it.

As for the other sensor under the alternator cover, the neutral/reverse safety switch, right?  I couldn't find any helpful videos on youtube for the 1998 Honda Foreman 400 foot shift I have.

1 hour ago, MeGoose said:

Maybe not terrible but maybe a bit daunting as I/we are not mechanics. The guy in the video replaced the gasket. Do you know by chance where I can locate one? The other thing is, once it's open, I won't be able to tell if there is anything else broken/not right by looking at it.

As for the other sensor under the alternator cover, the neutral/reverse safety switch, right?  I couldn't find any helpful videos on youtube for the 1998 Honda Foreman 400 foot shift I have.

before you go removing the front cover ?..THERE IS NOTHING BEHIND THE FRONT COVER THAT IS STOPPING IT FROM SHIFTING THROUGH THE GEARS AS FAR AS THE CLUTCH GOES !. you can down load the service manual for your atv from the site here for free.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

this is after market gasket,,,made in china...lol.

C5EF682E-50B2-4BD1-9C2F-8214E02D2FAB.png

16 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

C5EF682E-50B2-4BD1-9C2F-8214E02D2FAB.png

i'd like to see the package..i dont trust anything on ebay... read further down in ad..it clearly says reproduction !..lol.

2 hours ago, shadetree said:

i'd like to see the package..i dont trust anything on ebay... read further down in ad..it clearly says reproduction !..lol.

I bought some 300 gaskets from them. They are not OEM but were good gaskets.

I still need to call you back. Had a day from ! at work yesterday and I’ve been driving all day today headed to the in-laws for spring break.

1 hour ago, jeepwm69 said:

I bought some 300 gaskets from them. They are not OEM but were good gaskets.

I still need to call you back. Had a day from ! at work yesterday and I’ve been driving all day today headed to the in-laws for spring break.

This one however is not a "reproduction" :

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/11394-HM7-003

We are gathering information still and continue to fix the little issues it has. Not ready to do the other larger issue just yet.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2024 at 5:38 PM, MeGoose said:

We are gathering information still and continue to fix the little issues it has. Not ready to do the other larger issue just yet.

do not buy from partzilla !!..their prices are too high !..buy from rocky mountain atv !

On 3/16/2024 at 6:38 PM, MeGoose said:

I'm still around. We're in need of some much warmer weather to start anything more serious than cleaning it thoroughly and fixing wires. Even if that particular bolt is loose in the trans, I've no real idea what else to look for that maybe worn, bad etc. At least it's in the garage and dry.

23 hours ago, MeGoose said:

I'm still around. We're in need of some much warmer weather to start anything more serious than cleaning it thoroughly and fixing wires. Even if that particular bolt is loose in the trans, I've no real idea what else to look for that maybe worn, bad etc. At least it's in the garage and dry.

not sure if its been asked ?, where are you located ?, if yer close to arkansas ?, load that puppy up, bring it to me, i'll fix it, you will have to pay for parts if and when needed ?, but i will not charge you labor !.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, shadetree said:

not sure if its been asked ?, where are you located ?, if yer close to arkansas ?, load that puppy up, bring it to me, i'll fix it, you will have to pay for parts if and when needed ?, but i will not charge you labor !.

Hi,

I'm no where near you guys down in Arkansas. I'm way up north from you guys. March has been nice, but there will be some snow tomorrow. I much appreciate the offer though, I'd like to get this quad to shift in all the gears, find neutral and reverse. 🙂

35 minutes ago, MeGoose said:

Hi,

I'm no where near you guys down in Arkansas. I'm way up north from you guys. March has been nice, but there will be some snow tomorrow. I much appreciate the offer though, I'd like to get this quad to shift in all the gears, find neutral and reverse. 🙂

ok, first off..the engine does not have to run in order to shift through all the gears !, you can ( or should be able too ! ) shift through all 5 forward gears, and reverse with the engine not running. if you can not do this ?, then this tells me you have issues going on with either the shift drum ?, or the ratchet paw area behind the front cover ?. DO NOT MESS WITH THE CLUTCH ADJUSTMENT FOR NOW !!!. you can remove the front cover, i do not remember if the front cover can be pulled without the front drive shaft being moved out of the way ?, its been a min sense i worked on one..lol. if you can get the front cover off without removing the front drive shaft ?..then pull the front cover. ( make sure you have an oem gasket on hand to replace the gasket that you will tear up when doing this ! ) if you do not want to drain the oil ?..you can however get the front end up pretty high, and still get the front cover off without losing oil. if you plan on replacing the engine oil anyway , with a new oil filter ?, just drain the oil then. once the front cover is off, you will need to inspect the lower right hand side ( you..at front...facing engine ), down on right hand lower side is the shifting parts you are after, there is a few parts right there that you need to get too. sometimes you can get to them without removing the change clutch ? ( clutch basket ), other times...this change clutch must come out in order to get to the shifting parts right there. i would pull the change clutch if it were me doing this. chances are anyway..those friction disk are worn out ?, now would be a great time to replace them !.

If you do not see any bad parts with the shift parts right there ? ( service manual is a life savor ! )..then the worse has came to light...you will need to pull the engine, split the engine..and have a peek inside the engine to see what is wrong with the shift drum, and all those parts that make it shift gears. YES..I KNOW YOU DID NOT WANT TO HEAR THIS !!..but the real deal is...THIS MUST BE DONE !. if you have to go this route ?, then be warned, now is a good time to get a whole complete engine gasket kit, this means all gaskets, all oil seals, a D.I.D. cam chain. now yer gonna say '' why do i need all this '' ?..simple..YOU ARE TEARING IT ALL THE WAY DOWN..NOW IS THE TIME TO GIVE IT ANOTHER 30 PLUS YRS TO RUN !.

last but not least, you say you are not an atv mechanic ?..well guess what bro ?,,30 plus yrs ago..NEITHER WAS I !!..LOL. we all have to learn..and hands on learning is priceless !. i've been where you are right now, i've been down that road..many..many times, hrs, days, weeks, months, yrs. never once seen a class room to learn this trade. you either save money, do it yourself ?..or..you pay someone else to make money to fix something you can do yourself..IF YOU PUT YOUR MIND TO IT !..JUST ASK BCS, he was just like you, but as of right now..with our help on here..he now knows how to work on them !.