andycule

Rubicon Rabbi

Looking for someone who can hold my hand through the problems I am having with my 2003 Rubicon 500FA.  Long story, not sure where to start. One cold morning about seven years ago the transmission went out on our bike.  Prior to that we had been having problems with the unit defaulting to emergency mode.  It could be driven, poorly, in a forward gear, and barely useable in reverse.  We continued to use it as it was our only way to clean our horse stalls.  Then the transmission broke started howling, it was broken.  We dragged our old Honda out of mothballs and parked this one.  I got a little chunk of change and finally got a replacement transmission. Now the bike idles good and sounds great but is still not drivable.  The problem has not gone away.  Here is what it is doing:  all three drive mode indicators lights, D1, D2, and ESP flash about a half second between flashes.  The dash clock also flashes.  The neutral lamp, the reverse indicator lamp and oil pressure lights all functioning normally.  Here are the things we have done so far to try and correct. We purchased both honda and Clymer manuals for this bike.  Of course we attempted, many times, to do the reset procedure as called out, after installing the transmission, we then replaced the ECU, we replaced a damaged control motor for the transmission, and we replaced the throttle sensor.  We checked the angle sensor and according to the book specs, it is good.  Checked the gear position switch, the esp shift switch and mode select switch.  My husband has worked on bikes for years but we can't get a handle on this.  Please help!!!!

Welcome to the forum!

The flashing is a code -count the number of flashes and refer to the service manual

or post the number here and we can start to identify an area to start

-AKATV

Welcome aboard.   When you do the initialization, can you hear the shift motor move one way, then the other during the initialization procedure?  Are angle sensor and TPS OEM parts or aftermarket?

Rubicons are a weird breed, and while I'm trying to learn more about them as I've picked up a couple, troubleshooting them can be quite tedious.  There is a guy who seems to know them exceptionally well.  He's not on here much but if we can't figure out your problem, that guy will usually respond to emails. 

Let's see if we can figure it out here first.

Double check that the angle sensor was installed correctly, a common problem.

There's a lot of helpful help around here, hope you get it figured!

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, spock said:

Double check that the angle sensor was installed correctly, a common problem.

There's a lot of helpful help around here, hope you get it figured!

ah yes, preloading that sensor is something I often overlook when trying to help out with these.  The Rubicons are different animals but I’m trying to learn!