ColtDog

Honda Rancher 400 AT ES to Manual conversion

I’ve got a 2005 Honda Rancher 400 AT 4wd. It is in excellent condition, I changed the angle sensor and applied dialectic grease. It seems very little water upsets the shifting and will be hung in first gear wether you’re in Auto Or ESP. Although sometimes it works and sometimes not. Can I convert this to a manual? These electronic issues cannot continue to happen, where I ride is very desolate.what do I need to order or is there a link to a video with accurate instructions? Thanks in advance. 

4 hours ago, ColtDog said:

I’ve got a 2005 Honda Rancher 400 AT 4wd. It is in excellent condition, I changed the angle sensor and applied dialectic grease. It seems very little water upsets the shifting and will be hung in first gear wether you’re in Auto Or ESP. Although sometimes it works and sometimes not. Can I convert this to a manual? These electronic issues cannot continue to happen, where I ride is very desolate.what do I need to order or is there a link to a video with accurate instructions? Thanks in advance. 

sell it, then buy a manual shift model.

It’s a Hondamatic/ hydrostat so unfortunately no way to convert to a foot shift.  You could swap in a 350 Rancher footshift engine and wiring harness.  

• Like 1

Stuck in 1st? Had this exact problem with an 05. Ended up being 2 things, shift motor brushes worn out, (replaced the motor & would then only shift in auto) & connectors on the front end were dirty. I would def/ check the shift motor 1st thing. 

Another issue with these automatic Honda 400's is the centrifugal clutch which controls engagement. When they are worn out and slipping they affect shifting since the computer senses a problem.