Been having an issue riding where I would go to upshift and I had to keep hitting the button and might take 3 times before finally get in next gear. I changed angle sensor and new gear motor for shifting..still doing it, hit and miss where sometimes I could row thru the gears with no issue, then can take coupla tries...with 14 years on her I ordered new switch assembly, hoping it helps..any tips on install?, looks straightforward..thanks.

Screenshot_20240522-201857_eBay.jpg

Think you’ll have to remove front fender, then it just plugs in.  

I would have checked connections first.  A bad connection is much more likely than a bad handlebar switch.

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Think you’ll have to remove front fender, then it just plugs in.  

I would have checked connections first.  A bad connection is much more likely than a bad handlebar switch.

Your probably right, I think different. With machine being 10 years old, if I have to go thru the work of removing front fenders, heck with a connection,  I'm changing whole part..ie, I'm the guy that put a starter in his truck, and changes starter solenoid as well.

did you try adjusting the clutch at all ?. if the clutch is out of adjustment..as in...worn friction disk ?..this also can give you shifting issues.

49 minutes ago, shadetree said:

did you try adjusting the clutch at all ?. if the clutch is out of adjustment..as in...worn friction disk ?..this also can give you shifting issues.

Oh heck, figured on ESP no clutch, there is an adjustment??? I changed out the motor in front.

4 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

Oh heck, figured on ESP no clutch, there is an adjustment??? I changed out the motor in front.

you maybe right on that model !, i'm so used to old school manual shifts..lol. i don't know if that model has an adjustable clutch or not now that you bring it up ?!.

23 hours ago, Mach 1 said:

The regular ES machines are the same as a footshift mechanically other than the electric shift motor on the front.

The automatics are the machines without a clutch adjustment.  The automatics all have an “ES mode” so rule of thumb is “if it has automatic it’s not an ES, even if it has ES buttons”

look for a 14mm nut on the front cover, towards left center of the engine cover