speedoflife

Rancher DCT IRS rattling 5th gear

Hello. 

I have a brand new 2024 Rancher Auto DCT with IRS. It has about 80 miles on it. Ever since new, I have noticed a weird rattling noise at the bottom of 5th gear. In auto it will shift into 5th at 21mph or so, for reference. At 17-30 mph in 5th it will rattle a good bit with light throttle. This might happen a little in 4th but it’s very noticeable in 5th. It does not happen during deceleration, and it does not happen during harder acceleration. Only when the load is light and throttle is gently applied. Also it does NOT go away when the rear brake is applied.

It could be a bolt loose or rattling panel or something but it seems like… too much lash in the drivetrain or play between gears? I’m not sure but it sounds and feels mechanical. Maybe just paranoia. 

It’s very much under warranty. The dealership is over 2 hours away, so I’d like to do a little research before I take it in. Just seeing if anyone has heard of this issue and I’ll update as I figure out what’s going on. Thanks in advance for any help. Video of sound. 

Hard to hear what you're hearing.  Did you check the exhaust heat shields?  They can make some racket that will make you think your engine is going south.

Posted (edited)
On 6/10/2024 at 8:36 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Hard to hear what you're hearing.  Did you check the exhaust heat shields?  They can make some racket that will make you think your engine is going south.

Hmm. It’s easier to feel and hear it in person no doubt. If this isn’t a common issue I’ll just take it to the dealership. It doesn’t feel or sound right. It’s not an exhaust shield. It feels like there’s some side to side play in the driveshaft coming out of the transmission. In the u-joint or one of the bearings. 

The loudest noise in the video is the problem.  You can hear exhaust, gravel moving against the tires, and a loud intermittent rattling/clanking sound. Maybe it’s normal but no other quad I’ve ridden has made a vibration/clanking/rattling like that. 

Edited by speedoflife

You will have a little bit of movement, simply because there is a spring in there to allow compression when the rear end moves up and down.  I wouldn't be concerned about that, from what I can see in the video.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2024/rancher-420-4x4-at-irs-trx420fa5-ac/propeller-shaft

I know you said it's a 2 hour drive, but if I had any concerns about a machine that new, I'd be taking it right to them and seeing if they can hear/feel what has you concerned.  The quicker the better getting it documented for warranty purposes.

7 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

You will have a little bit of movement, simply because there is a spring in there to allow compression when the rear end moves up and down.  I wouldn't be concerned about that, from what I can see in the video.

https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda/atv/2024/rancher-420-4x4-at-irs-trx420fa5-ac/propeller-shaft

I know you said it's a 2 hour drive, but if I had any concerns about a machine that new, I'd be taking it right to them and seeing if they can hear/feel what has you concerned.  The quicker the better getting it documented for warranty purposes.

Thank you for your opinion and advice. I’ll be trailering it to the dealership tomorrow. Here’s another video for fun. Going downhill at 25-27mph in 5th gear. I let off the throttle 6 seconds in then at 8 seconds you hear the rattle start. It’s loud. 

https://imgur.com/a/gKKNb1l

I can kinda hear it in that video.  Not enough to tell what it might be.   I know it's a PITA to take it in, but since you're under warranty, I'd let Honda figure it out.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

I can kinda hear it in that video.  Not enough to tell what it might be.   I know it's a PITA to take it in, but since you're under warranty, I'd let Honda figure it out.

I took it in. Service advisor and supervisor could hear the noise. Said it sounded drivetrain related. Described it as “faint” (they could only drive it a few hundred yards - it certainly can be loud: louder than the exhaust). Advice is to drive it until it breaks. Mentioned something about a newly released “product improvement plan” for TRX420FA5’s, but my VIN wasn’t in the range. This “product improvement plan” involves “replacing the engine and driveshaft.”  

Maybe that Yamaha wouldn’t have been a bad idea lol. First new ATV I’ve ever bought….

Hi @speedoflife there is a round disk that may have pop out from the rear end -- look between the rear brake disk and rear end to see.

3 hours ago, Melatv said:

Hi @speedoflife there is a round disk that may have pop out from the rear end -- look between the rear brake disk and rear end to see.

Ok I will look - thanks. 

How do you like the Bearclaw HTR’s??? Those are the tires I want. Will they stand up when they lose air?

Looks like there is little to no oil in the differential? The manual says it should be filled to the bottom of the hole. 

IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3857.png

16 hours ago, speedoflife said:

I took it in. Service advisor and supervisor could hear the noise. Said it sounded drivetrain related. Described it as “faint” (they could only drive it a few hundred yards - it certainly can be loud: louder than the exhaust). Advice is to drive it until it breaks. Mentioned something about a newly released “product improvement plan” for TRX420FA5’s, but my VIN wasn’t in the range. This “product improvement plan” involves “replacing the engine and driveshaft.”  

Maybe that Yamaha wouldn’t have been a bad idea lol. First new ATV I’ve ever bought….

“drive it till it breaks” is their warranty service?  If it lasts past the warranty period are they still going to fix it?  Are they going go come get you and the machine when it breaks down 20 miles back in the bush?

That’s a garbage answer.

13 hours ago, speedoflife said:

Ok I will look - thanks. 

How do you like the Bearclaw HTR’s??? Those are the tires I want. Will they stand up when they lose air?

Bearclaws HTR for me are a great tire -- good in mud and rock trails -- good in snow -- can be studded for ice -- smooth riding on good trails

I added 3oz of gear oil to the differential. The manual calls for 4.2oz total. The ratting noise still occurs but is much quieter. 

Interesting stuff. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, speedoflife said:

I added 3oz of gear oil to the differential. The manual calls for 4.2oz total. The ratting noise still occurs but is much quieter. 

Interesting stuff. 

Did they say they would fix the problem when it breaks, since they said “run it till it breaks”?

15 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Did they say they would fix the problem when it breaks, since they said “run it till it breaks”?

My plan is to get an extended warranty (5 year total) and ride it. What else can I do?

1 hour ago, speedoflife said:

My plan is to get an extended warranty (5 year total) and ride it. What else can I do?

Well, my problem with their answer would be, IF something is wrong with it, and that something doesn't break within the warranty period, then you're SOL.

Were it mine, I'd be contacting Honda corporate.  It's a brand new machine.   There should be ZERO issues with it, and IF there is an issue, they should fix it.  Not tell you to live with it until it breaks, but fix it.

Depending on what it is, when it does let go, it might tear up other surrounding components, and then are they going to fix that too?

I'd call the dealer back where you purchased it, tell them you want it fixed.  If they won't fix it, contact Honda corporate.

They really need to fix it, or buy it back and trade you even for another machine.

One other thing, if the rear diff was underfilled, you possibly have premature bearing wear in that rear diff now.  

@toodeep ran a dealer shop for years.  Maybe he can chime in with some advice.

I still think Honda is better than the rest, but they've fallen far from what they used to be, while others have closed the gap in quality.

contact dealer where you bought it, DEMAND THEY FIX IT !. if they won't , contact honda headquarters, you can also take it to another dealer. '' ride it t'll it breaks '' won't cover it after the warranty is gone !. you do not need to purchase more warranty !!..waste of cash, plus they will say whatever breaks..is not covered under that plan ?..i'll bank on it. again..DEMAND THEY FIX IT..AND ADVISE THEM ABOUT THE LOW GEAR OIL IN THE REAR DIFF !.

• Like 1

Honda Corporate should take care of the issue.   At the very least, you will have documentation that there is an issue to use in the future.

On 6/18/2024 at 11:06 AM, jeepwm69 said:

Honda Corporate should take care of the issue.   At the very least, you will have documentation that there is an issue to use in the future.

Here is there response after I reached out, got a response, replied with additional info, and was hoping for a solution. Needless to say this isn’t a good look for Honda. I chose this brand SPECIFICALLY because of a reputation for durability and quality. And here I am wasting my precious time on my new $9k bike. 

Thank you for contacting American Honda Powersports Customer Relations. We understand you are seeking technical support for your 2024 TRX420FA5.

American Honda Powersports division relies on our authorized Honda

Powersports dealers to be your technical resource. It would be in your best interest to get an official diagnosis. Please utilize the 'Find a Dealer' feature located on the top right of our webpage to find an authorized

Honda Powersports dealer nearest you.

Sincerely, Aurora

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Powersports Customer Relations

20 minutes ago, speedoflife said:

Here is there response after I reached out, got a response, replied with additional info, and was hoping for a solution. Needless to say this isn’t a good look for Honda. I chose this brand SPECIFICALLY because of a reputation for durability and quality. And here I am wasting my precious time on my new $9k bike. 

Thank you for contacting American Honda Powersports Customer Relations. We understand you are seeking technical support for your 2024 TRX420FA5.

American Honda Powersports division relies on our authorized Honda

Powersports dealers to be your technical resource. It would be in your best interest to get an official diagnosis. Please utilize the 'Find a Dealer' feature located on the top right of our webpage to find an authorized

Honda Powersports dealer nearest you.

Sincerely, Aurora

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.

Powersports Customer Relations

ok, now that you have that out of the way, now look into another dealer besides the one that sold it to you.what i have learned in my yrs of dealing with '' stupid '' dealerships ?, is there is always another dealership that will take care of you. what the first one wants you to do..is give up !. never...EVER..give up, if it takes getting a lawyer ?, then do it...then sue for damages while your at it. ppl give up too easy..and that is what they want you to do...GIVE UP ?!. don't gve up !.

4 minutes ago, shadetree said:

ok, now that you have that out of the way, now look into another dealer besides the one that sold it to you.what i have learned in my yrs of dealing with '' stupid '' dealerships ?, is there is always another dealership that will take care of you. what the first one wants you to do..is give up !. never...EVER..give up, if it takes getting a lawyer ?, then do it...then sue for damages while your at it. ppl give up too easy..and that is what they want you to do...GIVE UP ?!. don't gve up !.

Ouch ok thanks for the advice.

That dealer is 2.5 hours away and the next ones are 3.5 hours away. 

This dealer said they check the fluid level before it leaves (then why was it still wrong…?). They will take it apart but if they find nothing broken they are worried I will end up footing the bill. 

1 hour ago, speedoflife said:

Ouch ok thanks for the advice.

That dealer is 2.5 hours away and the next ones are 3.5 hours away. 

This dealer said they check the fluid level before it leaves (then why was it still wrong…?). They will take it apart but if they find nothing broken they are worried I will end up footing the bill. 

if it were mine ?, i'd drive the 3.5 hrs to the other dealer, but this is me..lol. i have a hard time dealing with sorry ppl..lol.