jeepwm69

2005 350 Rancher ES, no spark

Brother in law picked up an 05 350 ES and brought it to me.  It's yellow ( @shadetree!), diffs and engine aren't mud stained, but looks like it's been sitting out in the sun.

Had to put a battery on it, old one was so dead it wouldn't even click a tender on when I hooked it up.

Meter was completely toast.  Water intrusion.  I think @AKATV is going to be able to piece one together for me.   Market rate on them now is about $300 since they're discontinued and getting harder and harder to find.   PSN had one for $289 that I started watching on ebay, and it sold in about 24 hours (to someone else, not me).   BIL said he wanted a working meter, so he'll have to cough up the going rate for one.

Other issue is, no spark.   He put a new OEM voltage regulator on it based on that fixing a 450 Foreman he brought me last year.   No dice.   I put a 3rd gen 300 CDI on it yesterday just to see if that might be the problem.  Still no spark.

So the easy "parts swapping" is done.  Looks like I'm going to have to get out the meter and start doing things the hard (proper) way. 

With no meter I can't tell if it's throwing any codes, but I did get it into neutral so it will at least spin over now.

Going to check spark plug first, then start on the other ignition components.   I have my kid's running/driving 350 Rancher of the same year, so at least I have extry parts for testing purposes.

2 hours ago, jeepwm69 said:

Brother in law picked up an 05 350 ES and brought it to me.  It's yellow ( @shadetree!), diffs and engine aren't mud stained, but looks like it's been sitting out in the sun.

Had to put a battery on it, old one was so dead it wouldn't even click a tender on when I hooked it up.

Meter was completely toast.  Water intrusion.  I think @AKATV is going to be able to piece one together for me.   Market rate on them now is about $300 since they're discontinued and getting harder and harder to find.   PSN had one for $289 that I started watching on ebay, and it sold in about 24 hours (to someone else, not me).   BIL said he wanted a working meter, so he'll have to cough up the going rate for one.

Other issue is, no spark.   He put a new OEM voltage regulator on it based on that fixing a 450 Foreman he brought me last year.   No dice.   I put a 3rd gen 300 CDI on it yesterday just to see if that might be the problem.  Still no spark.

So the easy "parts swapping" is done.  Looks like I'm going to have to get out the meter and start doing things the hard (proper) way. 

With no meter I can't tell if it's throwing any codes, but I did get it into neutral so it will at least spin over now.

Going to check spark plug first, then start on the other ignition components.   I have my kid's running/driving 350 Rancher of the same year, so at least I have extry parts for testing purposes.

haha..that yellow is gonna bite ya on the backside !..lol.

I'd check the frame ground next to the CDI and the ground on the right side rear area next to the clipped-to-the-frame harness connectors. Check fuses, and check for spark using the recoil to crank the motor over (rather than the starter motor) in case the solenoid flyback voltage protection diode (located in the fuse box) is bad. Check the Start/Stop switch on the handlebar, swap in a working ignition coil to rule that out,  then check Peak voltages on the pulse generator and the coil. If you need a stator, a pulse gen, CDI, a coil or any other parts for testing, holler and I'll mail them to you.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2024 at 5:20 PM, retro said:

I'd check the frame ground next to the CDI and the ground on the right side rear area next to the clipped-to-the-frame harness connectors. Check fuses, and check for spark using the recoil to crank the motor over (rather than the starter motor) in case the solenoid flyback voltage protection diode (located in the fuse box) is bad. Check the Start/Stop switch on the handlebar, swap in a working ignition coil to rule that out,  then check Peak voltages on the pulse generator and the coil. If you need a stator, a pulse gen, CDI, a coil or any other parts for testing, holler and I'll mail them to you.

Thanks @retro!  Luckily I have my kid's 05 here in perfect running condition, so I can use hers for testing.  She's leaving for camp Thursday (counselor) so she won't be needing it for a few weeks.

Great! If ya need a pulse gen to try though, holler. I've been hoarding parts.