LedFTed

gas tank bolts

i thought i posted this already, maybe its on the hunting forum i go to.lol i rebuilt a pit cock with goobers help. from sitting so long it got hart to turn. needless to say the bolts, to the pit cock are stuck. i dont want the strip out the bolt holes out of the gas tank. any suggestions?

i tried my brothers ryobi. got one out, the there just spins, it still there, so is fuel valve. am i out of luck?

Edited by LedFTed

18 hours ago, LedFTed said:

i tried my brothers ryobi. got one out, the there just spins, it still there, so is fuel valve. am i out of luck?

Try prying on the petcock (GENTLY!) while spinning the bolt.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to pry the nutsert out of the plastic, get the bolt out, and then glue the nutsert back into the tank, and be very gentle reinstalling that bolt.

can i cut the top off the bolt head with a grinder, and proceed from there, the rest of the bolt, still in?, That i can do, but will it help?

I don't know that I'd do that.   If the nutsert has already spun in the plastic, you're going to have to pull it out and trying glue/epoxy on it at this point anyhow.   If you cut the head off the bolt, it's going to make it harder to get the bolt out of the nutsert.

That's my .02, but we all know there's more than one way to skin a cat.

got preoccupied yesterday and didnt get around to cutting the bolt head off. so, do you pry it out, with a small crowbar/long screwdriver, not having done this before.

Edited by LedFTed
spelling, puncutation

On 9/10/2024 at 1:13 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Try prying on the petcock (GENTLY!) while spinning the bolt.  If that doesn't work, you'll have to pry the nutsert out of the plastic, get the bolt out, and then glue the nutsert back into the tank, and be very gentle reinstalling that bolt.

This is the way I also the deal with them. 

On 9/14/2024 at 11:10 AM, LedFTed said:

got preoccupied yesterday and didnt get around to cutting the bolt head off. so, do you pry it out, with a small crowbar/long screwdriver, not having done this before.

Spin the bolt with the impact while gently prying on the petcock with a screwdriver.  It should pop out.

i havent tried the impact as yet, as i havent asked the question of how. i did try with a 1/4 ratchet set, but do not want to go any farther. it just spun. i'll give it a go and see if i make progress tomorrow. thanks

I usually hit them quick with light electric impact to break them fast

If they have already started to spin, that might not be an option

Once they spin you can pull them out and JB weld them back in place

-AKATV

the impact drill got it out. it aint pretty. after out, i had to use cheater bars to break the bolt from th brass fitting. the bolt looked brand new, at the threads, the brass, after hand tightening a couple uf time, what ever held it in place, must have fell out, cause i couldnt see anything in there.

• Like 1