Bossdaddy

Rear end pops 1996 Honda 300 fourtrax

Rear-end pops in reverse when I first start moving. I haven't noticed any noise while moving forward. Can somebody tell me what it is. The ring gear looks fine, no missing teeth. 

jeepwm69, I was afraid you was going to say that, I'm trying to find me a used rear-end now. I was really not wanting to tear into that thing. I got a feeling the bearing is shot and letting the pinion move over and jump a tooth and it's going to get worse not better. Thanks for your advice.

2 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

jeepwm69, I was afraid you was going to say that, I'm trying to find me a used rear-end now. I was really not wanting to tear into that thing. I got a feeling the bearing is shot and letting the pinion move over and jump a tooth and it's going to get worse not better. Thanks for your advice.

Go ahead and pull it.  If the pinion bearing is shot, and the pinion gear isn't too chewed up, put a new bearing in there and put it back together.

That's what I'm planning on doing, it will be a couple of days before I can get back to the shop , hunting preps come first. Thanks for the info I'll keep you posted as things happen,

• Like 1

On 10/2/2024 at 3:31 PM, jeepwm69 said:

Go ahead and pull it.  If the pinion bearing is shot, and the pinion gear isn't too chewed up, put a new bearing in there and put it back together.

perhaps you should have warned him in advance...just how hard it is to replace those two bearings on the pinion gear ?!..lol. the large bearing is cake walk, the end needle bearing ?..now thats a chore...spec if you do not know what you are doing ?!. also, he will need a tool to remove the pinion gear lock nut.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jcz said:

that needle bearing sucks

they can, and will !..lol. if ya know how to remove that needle bearing ?, its not too bad...but still tough to do if you don't know what you are doing.

I won't be changing the bearings. If I need to I can buy a good used one that is waiting for me to call him and he will ship. I'm not going to try and change bearings.  Thanks for all the help. I'll tell y'all how it turns out.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bossdaddy said:

I won't be changing the bearings. If I need to I can buy a good used one that is waiting for me to call him and he will ship. I'm not going to try and change bearings.  Thanks for all the help. I'll tell y'all how it turns out.

if the rear diff is clanking of any sort ?, the bearings are shot. only one way to fix this, replace the bearings and seals in the rear diff ?, or replace the whole rear diff with a known good working one. the bearing replacement is the cheapest these days.

shadetree, It's always good to get info from you more experienced guys, I'm putting a whole rear diff in it and maybe get someone to rebuild the bad one and have it for a spare or sell it and recoup some of my money, always good to hear from you.

• Like 1